Community Affairs Coordinator
Posted Date: Aug-22-2017
Job ID: 7302
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Public Affairs
What's cool about this job
As Community Affairs Coordinator, you will serve on the Brand Stewardship and Impact (BSI) team whose job is to help REI, the nation’s largest consumer co-op, shape the future of the outdoors. Through employee and member engagement, national and local advocacy, sustainable business practices and community investment/philanthropy, the BSI team pursues impact-driven work that benefits both the business and communities the co-op serves. Contributing to this work, the coordinator will support philanthropy and community engagement programs and teammates. This role will also help support the co-op’s work to invest millions of dollars in over 300 nonprofits that steward outdoor recreation places and increase access to the outdoors for all. This role will collaborate with diverse internal and external partners to help build the co-op partnership network, execute and enhance programs, coordinate content for storytelling, track/evaluate progress, and improve systems. You will be a creative self-starter with the ability to operate with independence and determination – autonomously and across divisions. You will be detail-oriented with the ability to track multi-million dollar budgets. You will be tech savvy, with an eye towards continuous improvement of processes and systems. As is expected of every team member, you will model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and purpose.
Bring your passion and expertise
Philanthropy and Community Engagement
- Serve as coordinator for REI’s community engagement and philanthropic programs.
- Manage and continuously improve the grant-making database including data management, evaluation and analytics.
- Collaborate with and help train internal and external community investment stakeholders to assure deep understanding of philanthropy expectations and process.
- Coordinate efforts to maintain contact with nonprofit, government and business partners who have interest in collaborating with REI on community investments, government engagement and other outreach. Tools include email communication, events and relationship management.
- Track philanthropic budget.
- Coordinate and, on occasion, create content that helps tell the story of REI’s community investment and broader community engagement. Channels include REI stewardship report, blog articles, member e-mails, marketing campaigns, REI.com and more.
- Oversee REI’s Community Gear Donation program, which puts gear in hands of local nonprofits.
- Work with cross-divisional teams to assure REI’s new stores have strong partnerships in the outdoor community and that key partners are integrating into grand opening events.
- Support the team by project managing a variety of work that may relate to marketing campaigns, advocacy/policy initiatives, and local and national events.
- Assist Brand Stewardship and Impact team with content and project coordination as needed.
- Create and implement innovative ways for community and government affairs professionals to work more collaboratively and efficiently using technology and other tools.
- Demonstrated understanding of grant programs, nonprofits, government programs, especially as they relate to the outdoors or healthy lifestyles.
- First-class written, verbal and interpersonal communication.
- Proven ability to successfully develop and manage partnerships.
- Demonstrated ability to train people on programmatic processes.
- Superior working knowledge of technology tools for community engagement, efficient process development and management.
- Consolidates information from various sources to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities and planning well.
- 3+ years in community engagement, philanthropy or other related field (desired).
- 3+ years experience working or volunteering in a substantive role at a nonprofit, grantor or agency (desired).
- Agile, detailed and pro-active.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI to achieve business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support directions taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking and sound judgment to solve problems or pursue business opportunities.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information via various methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Comfortable bucking the status quo.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer