Posted Date: Jun-21-2017
Job ID: 7928
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
As the Copywriter for Product Content, you take marketing copy from our external vendors and turn it into inspiring, clear, accurate, helpful product descriptions for REI.com, REI Garage and in-store signage. You rework jargon and hyperbole into meaningful, truthful information. You love the creative challenge of a tight character count. You like working with a robust style guide that experiences frequent updates.
You know a lot about a wide variety of outdoor gear and you know how to fill your knowledge gaps. You remove errors (never introduce them). You’re always looking for ways to better serve our customers. (Hint: The customers are just like you and they just wanna get outside with the right gear.) You know how to work together with a team toward a common goal and have the communication skills that make collaboration easier. You’re unfazed by change. Above all, you aim to ensure the online shopping experience is as engaging and informative as a trip to an REI store and a chat with one of our experts in the green vests.
The ideal candidate will have a strong writing background with an emphasis on product, experience in fast-paced publishing environments, a keen eye, a high responsibility drive, a sense of humor and a devotion to the outdoors.
In this role, you will work under the Supervising Editor, alongside another writer and two editors. We expect you to:
· Write product page content and product-related in-store signage
· Uphold the REI style guide and brand standards
· Maintain relationships with cross-divisional partners to enhance accuracy, findability and relevance of product content pages
· Continually upgrade product and activity expertise and stay abreast of industry trends
· Keep the customer (both internal and external) in mind at all times
· Look for ways to enhance and improve the digital retail experience
· 1–2 years’ experience in copywriting (product copywriting preferred) and a Bachelor’s degree in English, marketing, communications or journalism preferred
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
· Proven ability to write effective, clear and honest marketing copy
· Proven attention to detail
· Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks, prioritize and meet deadlines
· Demonstrated understanding of outdoor activities and gear, as well as REI’s customer base, products and services
· Openness to change
· Ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources to develop well-researched, sound solutions to problems
· Fondness for snacks, GIFs and Slack
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé and clips/portfolio.
You are wild about the outdoors. You love playing with words. Haven’t you always wanted to invest your talents in the growth of a company you actually value? REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We work every day to help our 16 million members have amazing experiences outside and then we head outside ourselves. We believe in one simple truth: A life outdoors is a life well-lived. If you agree and you have copywriting chops, we can’t wait to meet you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer