Design Insights Intern
Posted Date: May- 5-2017
Job ID: 7574
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
What's cool about this job
The REI Design Research Intern is responsible for supporting the design insights team in helping the internal design team create products that are inspired, meaningful and brand right. This includes both primary and secondary research. The Design Research Intern will be mentored by their team, and taught the basics of design research. This position is paid hourly.
- Interns will be expected to spend the majority of their time supporting the design insights team. This can include tasks such as: creating research methodologies, organizing the space, updating and creating presentation documents, organizing data, participating in critiques and brainstorms.
- The remaining time can be spent working on a student design project that will be assigned during the first week of the internship. The project will relate to outdoor products in some way and will be decided based on the student’s interests and the needs of the design insights team. This project must be completed within the term.
- To be considered, you must submit a PDF portfolio in one document that includes your resume and optional cover letter. Portfolios cannot exceed 10MB. Due to system constraints do not apply to multiple REI internship positions- multiple submissions may accidentally be deleted as spam.
- Competitive portfolios will showcase 1-3 high quality projects that show your design research skills/process, your visual presentation, and your storytelling skills.
- Please limit portfolios to your three best projects, with at least one showing design research methods of collecting data from users, analysis of the data, and a summary of the insights gained to be applied to design.
- Note: International applicants must hold a valid US working permit.
- Only those applicants who meet our stated requirements will be considered for this job. If you are a possible match for the position, we will contact you to learn more about your background and answer questions about our hiring process. No phone calls, please.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Candidates must be located in the greater Seattle area.
- Current student or recent graduate in Industrial Design who can commit to a minimum of 3 months at REI’s Kent, WA office
- Strong presentation skills; skilled at utilization of design and presentation programs, such as Adobe CS products, MS PowerPoint
- Excellent communication, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to organize thoughts and project details under time constraints
- Enjoys collaborating with other researchers, designers, product developers, and strategists
- Self-starter, who is resourceful, capable, and creative in finding solutions
- Interest in strategy, trends, consumer insights, and making amazing outdoor products
- Willing to travel and go out into the field to conduct research with our members
- Preferred: Experience/classes in design research
Why you'll love it here
REI is a national outdoor retail co-op dedicated to inspiring, educating and outfitting its members and the community for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship. Our award-winning line of gear and clothing is exclusive to REI and combines quality, performance, style and functionality to meet the outdoor recreational needs of our members.
REI started as a cooperative, or co-op, in 1938 and we've stayed true to that business structure ever since. Being a consumer co-op, rather than a publicly-traded company, enables us to focus on the long-term interests of the co-op and our members. It means that we're able to operate a business that plays a vital national role in growing outdoor participation and protecting the environment for future generations.
Working at REI means working in an environment of respect, diversity, shared values and a passion for the outdoors. You work with team members who share your enthusiasm for helping more people enjoy the outdoors by delivering compelling, meaningful products in the market. We are guided by our values of authenticity, quality, services, respect, integrity and balance. That's why REI has been chosen for FORTUNE magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" every year since the magazine began compiling the list in 1998.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer