Director Strategic Procurement
Posted Date: Dec-12-2016
Job ID: 6123
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
What's cool about this job
At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived!
What began as a group of 23 mountain climbing buddies in 1938 is now the nation's largest consumer co-op. But no matter how large REI grows, our roots remain firmly planted in the outdoors and in our dedication to our mission: To inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
REI is more than just a place to work. It’s a fun, inspired culture where a rare balance is struck between professional duties and personal adventures. Whether you camp, paddle board, climb mountains or simply prefer chilling at the local park, the outdoors connects us all. Then factor in REI’s stewardship, dedication to sustainability and contributions to our customers’ loved outdoor spaces and you have a recipe for some passionate employees. These shared employee values is what has ultimately landed REI on Fortune Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” list for 19 years in a row. If working for a purpose driven co-op is a priority for you please consider joining our team.
The Director Strategic Procurement will drive cost savings and process improvements across the Co-op. The individual will develop strategic sourcing strategies to drive maximum value out of our non-merchandise strategic partners and vendors. Lead and develop a team of procurement professionals to be a critical proactive team supporting the organization for all sourcing needs. Partner with every internal division leader to be a valuable partner in driving cost reductions for the divisions. Additionally, be a critical cross divisional leader on our Enterprise Process Improvement Council. Incorporate and drive procurement best practices, process improvements, tools and reporting to ensure sustainable value. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Leads strategic sourcing teams through a holistic and systematic sourcing process for complex strategic initiatives; develop and review effective project plans and negotiation strategies; evaluate supplier business proposals; provide recommendations for business strategy awards; negotiate complex agreements. Develop and present negotiation strategies and deal summaries
- Identifies and increases the addressable spend that procurement drive costs savings
- Drives a culture of cost savings and value driving metrics to drive value add to the Co-op
- Maintains awareness of key market trends and pricing as well as the availability of new products. Recommends and/or counsels others on these changes and innovations. Advises cross-divisional partners on current and future price, availability and delivery schedules
- Drives procurement best practices and process improvements
- Reduces cost in all non-merchandise (“not for sale”) expenses and capital purchases
- Identifies metrics, tools, and processes to optimize sourcing, supplier activities, and efficiencies; work collaboratively with team members to prioritize and drive implementation
- Develops relationships within the organization to ensure that all sourcing opportunities are rationalized for optimal savings
- Critical Leader on Enterprise Process Improvement Council
- Reports Procurement goals and deliverables to all divisional leaders
- Works closely with Legal, Operations, Marketing, and Finance teams on alignment of the Co-ops strategic sourcing vision cross functionally
- Partners with the Finance Shared Services team on Procurement/Payment processes and policies
- Works closely with Legal team to ensure proper legal protections in all contracts are in place, compliance with company policies and external procurement regulations.
- Aligns with Finance team to ensure savings are realized, forecasted and budgeted
Bring your passion and expertise
- 8-10 years experienced procurement professional at the enterprise level; Retail or Marketing category experience desired
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, or similar
- Proven ability to build relationship/partnerships with business partners & vendors
- Proven complex contract negotiation and vendor relationship management skills
- Ability to think strategically while fostering best practice initiatives to leverage corporate buying power
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 19 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer