General Accountant I
Posted Date: Feb- 8-2017
Job ID: 6441
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by reviewing, balancing, and posting basic corporate financial data into the General Ledger in an accurate and timely manner. Performs routine general ledger account analysis and makes adjusting entries. Researches and posts account corrections in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal account definitions. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Reviews, balances, and posts basic corporate financial data from multiple systems into the General Ledger.
- Reconciles less complex Balance Sheet accounts, identifying and resolving discrepant items timely and accurately.
- Resolves cash posting issues directly with stores, banks, or cash management.
- Processes clearing transactions in open item managed accounts.
- Prepares weekly deposit of checks received at headquarters; provides coding for posting to the General Ledger.
- Cancels checks and uploads check runs to the bank.
- Assists with processing business license renewals for REI’s physical locations.
- Performs bankcard adjustments and corrections.
- Develops and implements process improvements aimed at improving efficiencies and increasing customer value.
- Posts bankcard payments for sales channels not interfaced to REI’s financial system.
- Completes monthly and quarterly census reports.
- Maintains awareness of all activities and issues that could impact daily operations and service levels.Identifies issues and brings inconsistencies and problems to the attention of management.
- Performs month-end close activities as assigned.
- Serves as backup support to other Cash team members.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer