General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
Posted Date: Jan-24-2017
Job ID: 6432
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Legal
What's cool about this job
At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived!
REI is a trusted retailer of outdoor gear and experiences since the 1938 and is now the nation's largest consumer co-op. Since the beginning, REI has been committed to helping people enjoy the great outdoors to the fullest - from weekend family camping trips to Mt. Everest expeditions – through offering innovative, high-quality outdoor gear, apparel and experiences.
The General Counsel and Corporate Secretary will be a trusted advisor to the Board of Directors, the CEO as well as the rest of REI’s executive leadership team. The GC will provide legal advice on both strategic and operational matters, and advise the leadership team and Board of Directors on issues currently and potentially affecting the co-op. The GC will act as a business advisor by understanding the organization’s strategic direction and integrating legal decisions into that framework. The GC will provide leadership and perspective on the distinctive role of REI as a co-operative business in advancing the interests of co-op members and the outdoor industry. This person will be a critical leader in the creation and execution of the company’s strategy. This person will manage the day to day activities of the legal division, including
corporate governance, real estate, marketing regulatory
compliance, product liability, contracts, employment matters,
information security and other relevant business issues.
Bring your passion and expertise
- The successful candidate will have 10-15 years of progressive legal in-house experience managing a legal division or department in a complex, dynamic and highly competitive consumer industry.
- The candidate will have relevant experience working with a Board of Directors in a strategic and advisory capacity.
- The candidate will have demonstrated success in influencing strategic business decisions, merger and acquisition experience in a true business partner role for a $2 billion+ in revenue business or business unit.
- J. D. required from a leading recognized law school.
- The candidate will be registered and in good standing with at least one State Bar and eligible to practice law in the State of Washington.
- Experience in dynamic, fast moving and complex businesses is strongly required.
- The ideal candidate has a passion for community relationships and has played the business partner/advisor role representing an organization.
- Experience in retail or consumer business is preferable. Experience in non-retail or consumer best-in-class company is beneficial.
- Passion for the outdoors.·
Why you'll love it here
REI is more than just a place to work. It’s a fun, inspired culture where a rare balance is struck between professional duties and personal adventures. Whether you camp, paddle board, climb mountains or simply prefer local parks, the outdoors connects us all. Then factor in REI’s stewardship, dedication to sustainability and contributions to our customers’ loved outdoor spaces and you have a recipe for some passionate employees.
We are not accepting candidates from search firms.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer