Java Software Engineer - IT Digital Retail
Posted Date: Jul-21-2016
Job ID: 4701
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
What's cool about this job
We are looking for a Software Engineer to contribute to REI's success by designing, developing and implementing the next generation of features and functionality for REI’s website. You will get to work on a variety of projects with varying levels of complexity including: new site enhancements, application development, new technologies, coding for accessibility, performance optimization, and incident response. This role in particular plays a critical part in REI’s checkout/transaction ecosystem that integrates with multiple REI systems. As a critical player in the implementation of features and functionality, you will have the flexibility to grow your skills and explore new technical challenges on the journey towards making REI’s digital experience world class.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Preferred: 2+ years’ experience in software development and proficiency in Java EE, Spring framework
- Preferred: 2+ years’ experience in designing, developing, testing, implementing and supporting web services, API’s, data structures, object-oriented design
- 1+ years’ experience using agile development methodologies
- Experience leveraging application platforms that support micro services strategy, leveraging technologies like Spring Boot, Docker and other open source frameworks
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Create a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. Also, we have the support of a great company to tackle some pretty dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 19 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer