Manager, Paid Media and Branded Content Strategy
Posted Date: Aug- 3-2017
Job ID: 8306
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
What's cool about this job
REI’s Manager of Paid Media and Brand Content Strategy will be responsible for setting the strategic media direction through creative approaches to the overall campaign media mix and go-to-market planning for REI’s national campaigns, always-on advertising and Branded Content Partnerships. The job contributes to REI’s success by translating consumer insights into actionable creative media executions. The Manager is responsible for managing and fostering the relationship with REI’s external agency, as well as leading and setting the direction. Additionally, the Manager will play a critical role in driving innovation in terms of partner selection and executions. A critical part of this role will be working directly with REI’s internal agency to bring alignment and creativity to the media and branded content process.
This position leads, designs, manages and implements paid advertising campaigns within the marketing organization. This ownership encompasses all program leadership from specific program strategy to guiding execution, including budgeting, strategy, partnering/resourcing, optimization/analysis, creative development, tools development and execution. Program examples include promotional event advertising, targeted audience campaigns, and cross platform partnerships. Media vehicles include digital, print, audio, content, OOH, and video. These programs drive multi-channel traffic and sales throughout the year, awareness of REI, new customer acquisition, membership, and maintain the connection between REI and our target audience. These align with our strategic marketing growth areas in order to acquire new customers and members to REI, deliver the REI brand promise, and drive sales and traffic. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
- Define media, communications, and distribution strategy for select paid media advertising campaigns, paid content partnerships and always-on campaigns to support REI’s business objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-divisional marketing resources and external agencies to develop and ensure multi-channel integrated campaigns.
- Maintain expertise in the advertising, interactive marketing, branded content and media field, including evaluating building and maintaining relationships in the local/national advertising industry.
- Conduct ongoing search for new and favorable customer acquisition opportunities, including proficiency in new media platforms, and negotiation of contracts with current and new advertising partners.
- Research trends, opportunities, threats, competitors and other factors that affect the select advertising program.
- Communicate select advertising program knowledge/expertise to REI stakeholders.
- Develop and manage marketing program resources such as vendors, partners, internal creative and agencies.
- Foster relationships and oversee deliverables with internal stakeholders, and internal staff.
- Define and manage paid media program execution process. Process definition includes clear descriptions of inputs, hand-offs between teams, outputs, and timelines. Process execution management involves day-to-day actions that feed the delivery of key success metrics (example: Is marketing creative for digital advertising being delivered on-time?).
- Develop and manage reporting criteria of mass media program data.
- Analyze marketing program data and apply to program management.
- Optimize select advertising programs to maximize business goals. This could include sales growth, ROI by market, brand awareness, etc.
- Manages marketing budget for assigned advertising campaigns.
- Accountable for revenue attributable to assigned advertising campaigns
- Works directly with the Senior Marketing Manager Paid Media and Local Marketing, to ensure that the program is on strategy, on time and within budget.
- Responsible for leading and developing the Snr Program Manager and Program Manager on the Paid Media team
- Vendor Management. About 2 – 4 partners at any given time.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years experience in marketing and advertising; preferably with a multi-channel retailer (examples: mass media advertising planning experience, branded content, creative media strategy)
- 2+ years leading marketing teams
- Experience in developing complex, integrated go-to-market, multichannel campaign plans & strategies in collaboration with partner teams.
- Experience working with content & creative teams including design, production, and copywriting teams.
- Experience in managing external vendors, partners, and relationships connecting to marketing programs.
- A solid understanding of media performance metrics, media testing methodology, and optimization strategies.
- Experience managing a large budget (>$10M) across multiple media and vendor outlets. Comfort in making decisions within this budget and impact context.
- Proven track record developing program plans that meet/exceed goals and managing program budgets.
- Ability to identify customer needs and draft strategies and plans that deliver on those needs.
- Ability to assess important market requirements and opportunities and identify competitive opportunities.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Direct management of teams as well a management through influence vs. authority
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- A solid retail business understanding and proven ability to develop, enhance, implement and measure successful customer acquisition and retention programs required.
- Proven ability to plan and manage work effectively through all phases of the planning and analysis process.
- Proven abilities in managing ROI and budgets required
- Bachelors’ degree in marketing or relevant field preferred, or years of equivalent experience
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6.5 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer