Manager Quality Assurance - Engineering
Posted Date: Mar- 3-2017
Job ID: 6530
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
What's cool about this job
The Manager Quality Assurance contributes to REI’s success by owning the software quality assurance service(s)
at REI, managing software quality assurance teams assigned to provide testing services
to the development, maintenance or enhancement of applications utilized by
REI’s internal and external customers. Collaborates
and strategizes with portfolio owners and their development managers to
establish practices that enable the delivery of high-quality software at a pace
that meets customer’s demands. Promotes
innovation to drive operational efficiency in the support of initiatives aimed
to drive the business forward. Provides
direction to project teams, establishes work
priorities, and evaluates proposed solutions to ensure that technology
contributes to achievement of the division’s business objectives. Contributes
to departmental strategies, defines and enforces policies and standards. Ensures
team commitments are tracked, managed,
and meet or exceed expectations. Maintains a high quality of products and services
to help preserve REIs competitive advantage. Models and acts in accordance with
REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Owns service design, implementation and operation for the quality
assurance services delivered to the rest of IT.
- Manages the processes and people to ensure quality products meets
defined business requirements and design specifications.
- Manages quality assurance teams to ensure the
development of systems and processes meet REIs quality assurance standards
across the software development lifecycle.
- Creates, analyzes, and publishes
relevant quality metrics and measures across teams to communicate application
and release quality, and to address technical debt, risks, and other quality
- Guides the development of test
strategies and front end automation plans within Agile and Waterfall
development methodologies utilizing open source or commercial automation tools,
packages as applicable.
- Ensures that the quality
engineering discipline builds and utilizes robust, scalable test frameworks
- Provides quality assurance
strategy for enterprise package solutions.
Works closely with the vendor, development services manager, systems manager,
and project manager to incorporate sound test methodologies and best practices
into the quality assurance environment. Drives
the discovery and adoption of new methodologies using effective communications
and training of staff.
- Provides leadership to validate technical requirements; ensure
testability and traceability of new systems; and ensure successful generation
and utilization of automation/performance test cases, scripts and plans.
- Collaborates with Project Management Office to manage the progress of
development projects in process. Monitors performance of assigned quality
assurance assignments to ensure they are completed on time and within budget.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other Information Technology (IT)
departments regarding quality assurance deliverables, disciplines on overall
test plans, including user acceptance, performance and regression testing, to
ensure successful transition and system reliability of developed systems into
- Ensures delivery of documentation of test results and corrective
actions, including recommendations to improve quality and reliability of
systems. Ensures defect management using quality assurance tools.
- Provides strategic direction for quality assurance. Researches, evaluates and recommends
selection of software testing products, automation and performance processes
and methodologies to improve the quality and efficiencies of the quality
assurance deliverables, staff, and systems.
- Contributes to division strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of technology and
systems which significantly impact the effective execution of business
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration, or equivalent training and experience.
- 2+ years supervisory experience in the information technology field and the ability to direct technical work teams.
- 5+ years experience in information technology, including leading teams in systems analysis or software engineering.
- 5+ years experience in a software development, software testing or other technical development environment.
- Experience managing multiple project teams.
- Experience developing long-term technology strategies.
- Experience developing team-level plans and contributing to annual budgets.
- Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors and service providers in the information technology business.
- Experience with the testing needs of eCommerce and ERP solutions.
- Advanced knowledge of quality assurance methodologies and software test automation tools.
- Knowledge of methodologies, standards, procedures and organization that contribute to the development and deployment of technology solutions.
- Skills in resource management, project prioritization, problem-solving, issue management and negotiation, and mediation.
- Knowledge of business principles from multiple disciplines and ability to apply those principles.
- Experience with structured project and software development life cycles.
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some pretty dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer