Outdoor Programs Supervisor
Posted Date: Oct-10-2017
Job ID: 9116
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Outdoor Education
What's cool about this job
REI’s Outdoor Programs is a fast paced, fun, and innovative team. The Outdoor Programs Supervisor contributes to REI’s success by supervising and mentoring REI outdoor school instructors and programs. This position will ensure program risk management, coordinate operations for local classes, teach in-store and field classes, and will be responsible for the delivery of class content and the safety of all participants in the field, while providing excellent customer service and role modeling for instructors. Here is some detailed information on what you can expect to do in this role:
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Manages the hiring process for new instructors (both external and internal to REI)
- Train instructors in both curriculum and risk management of several outdoor activities
- Mentor and coach instructors in the field and in-store, both OPO and shared staff instructors, skilled at coaching a wide variety of customers and instructional staff
- Fulfills the direction for the outdoor programs within their market with direction from the REI Outdoor Programs and Outreach (OPO) Market Manager.
- Manages day to day logistical operations of field programs including instructor scheduling, store scheduling, customer communications (customer service issues), and course preparations.
- Instructs in the field and serves as lead instructor.
- Supports (OPO) Market Manager in training implementation and instructor assessment.
- Ensures fulfillment of budget goals, manages expenses to those goals with guidance from OPO Market Manager.
- Contributes to and rolls out national operational consistency
- Serves as risk management support to OPO Market Manager.
- Contributes to program planning for the market.
- Coordinates and communicates program plans with stores.
- Reports to the REI OPO Market Manager and is located within a retail market, within a retail district.
Bring your passion and expertise
Do you aspire to adventure? Do you thrive in the outdoors and want to help others do the same? Bring your passion to REI and help fulfill our mission to educate, inspire and outfit our customers for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship! REI Outdoor Programs & Outreach (OPO) helps people experience the outdoors through education and by making it easy for people to get outside and enjoy the outdoors. We provide entry-level to intermediate-level outdoor education programs in everything from Rock Climbing to Kayaking to Mountain Biking to Navigation (and more!). The Outdoor Programs Supervisor leads the team that makes this all happen at REI. Here are some skills that we think make for a great Outdoor Programs Supervisor:
- 4+ years of experience in outdoor education programs, leadership and development, experiential education instruction and/or guiding outdoor participation.
- 1+ years of experience managing and supervising a diverse team.
- Proven outdoor leadership skills and ability to function collaboratively.
- Working knowledge of legal, regulatory, and risk management issues related to outdoor education.
- Excellent presentation and instruction skills
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification required
- Instructor certifications or relevant experience in activities being offered (i.e., AMGA Climbing, ACA Kayak, PSIA Ski Instructor, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license with no negative incidents; capability of acquiring a commercial driver’s license.
- BA in leisure and Recreation Management or equivalent a plus
- Mid-level PC skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, PowerPoint
- Experience working in a retail environment preferred
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI’s values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and hold other to the same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company’s best interest
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Fosters change in company direction
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer