Outdoor School Senior Instructor
Posted Date: Aug-20-2017
Job ID: 8643
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Outdoor Education
Store: Lincoln Park
What's cool about this job
REI’s Outdoor Programs is a fast paced, fun, and innovative team. Over the next 2 years we are working together toward doubling the number of participants we engage through inspiring outdoor experiences while also tightening REI’s connection in the local community. The Outdoor School Senior Instructor is a key member of the Outdoor School Team. This job contributes to REI’s success by serving as a lead for local outdoor school instruction and operations. Some key responsibilities include:
- Fulfills the direction for the outdoor programs within their market with direction from the REI Outdoor Programs and Outreach (OPO) Market Manager.
- Manages day to day logistical operations of field programs including instructor scheduling, store scheduling, customer communications (customer service issues), and course preparations.
- Instructs in the field and serves as lead instructor.
- Supports (OPO) Market Manager in training implementation and instructor assessment.
- Ensures fulfillment of budget goals, manages expenses to those goals with guidance from OPO Market Manager.
- Contributes to and rolls out national operational consistency
- Serves as risk management support to OPO Market Manager.
- Contributes to program planning for the market.
- Coordinates and communicates program plans with stores.
- Reports to the REI OPO Market Manager and is located within a retail market, within a retail district.
Bring your passion and expertise
Do you aspire to adventure? Do you thrive in the outdoors and want to help others do the same? Bring your passion to REI and help fulfill our mission to educate, inspire and outfit our customers for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship! REI Outdoor Programs & Outreach helps people experience the outdoors through education and by making it easy for people to get outside and enjoy the outdoors. We provide entry-level to intermediate-level outdoor education programs in everything from Rock Climbing to Kayaking to Mountain Biking to Navigation (and more!). Here are the skills and experience levels we look for in our Senior Instructors:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in outdoor education with experience teaching and/or guiding outdoor experience
- Ability to effectively instruct customers in multiple environments and multiple subject areas
- Demonstrated outdoor leadership skills to include outstanding teaching and presentation abilities, and exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Experience working with community partners and customers
- Understanding of complex logistical systems to ensure efficiency of programming
- 1+ years of Outdoor Program Risk Management experience preferred
- Knowledge of legal and risk management issues related to outdoor education
- Experience managing a team preferred
- Prior responsibility managing a budget over $20,000 preferred
- Use business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Commitment to outstanding customer service with the ability to effectively resolve difficult customer issues and consider the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Ability to build capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, and communication
- Regional knowledge of local outdoor venues and resources is highly desirable
- Required Certification in Wilderness First Aid and CPR. Experience as a Wilderness First Responder and additional certifications preferred (i.e., AMGA, ACA, LAB, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license with no negative incidents and ability to acquire commercial driver’s license which includes medical screen and the ability to pass drug screen
- Degree in Outdoor Recreation and/or Management a plus
- Computer skills using MS PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and the Internet
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer