Payroll Specialist II
Posted Date: May- 5-2017
Job ID: 7359
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
What's cool about this job
The Payroll Specialist II contributes to REI’s success by the processing of all in-house payroll related activities including payroll processing and distribution, issuing on-demand checks, coordinating child support orders, levies, garnishments and discretionary deductions, coordinating payroll data retention, and processing typical payroll data. Assists with employee inquiries, acts as the “go to” person of the various timekeeping systems and assists the Payroll Manager with other duties as assigned. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Processes in-house payroll of 13,000+ employees in 43+ states.
- Process typical payroll data including timecards, labor statistics reports, submit New Hire reporting, and employment earnings verification.
- Be an expert in and take ownership of the REI timekeeping systems Workbrain and Workforce. Assist others if questions arise with either system.
- Coordinate employee child support orders, levies, garnishment deductions including answers to various agencies, notifying employees, create employee file, system setup, and payment to jurisdictions for each order.
- Will have an excellent understanding of the payroll processing and laws and regulations.
- Articulate clear answers to both general and out of the ordinary employee questions.
- Requires a high level of accuracy, customer service, and confidentiality
- Assist IT with testing payroll programs or other IT needs as assigned.
- Assist HR with payroll/HR/employee needs or issues
- Assist Payroll Manager and Senior Payroll Specialists with taxes or other duties as assigned.
- Assist Tax Department with other duties as assigned.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 2+ years of payroll experience.
- Excellent understanding and practical application of payroll compliance, payroll regulations, and tax principles.
- Proficient PC experience working with Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Infinium Payroll package.
- Excellent understanding of the Workbrain timekeeping system and how it interfaces to Payroll.
- Payroll Certification, or classes to work towards certification preferred.
- Payroll Experience in a multi-state environment preferred.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer