Program Manager - Operational Excellence Development
Posted Date: Mar-24-2017
Job ID: 6570
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Executive Leadership
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading the Operational Excellence training and development program and serving as an internal consultant guiding teams through effective problem-solving. This position works closely with REI’s Human Resources division and cross-divisional community of process improvement experts to develop and execute enterprise-wide learning programs based on Lean Six Sigma principles. This position also facilitates structured problem-solving events for other teams as directed, building those teams’ process improvement capabilities. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
The Program Manager reports to the Director of Operational Excellence on the Strategy & Insights team. Candidates should exhibit competence in process improvement, training development and delivery, group facilitation, and problem-solving. This position should hold prior work experience in these areas, as well as Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification or equivalent.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Designs, creates and delivers training on process improvement methods and tools in collaboration with cross-divisional community of practice
- Coordinates and administers REI’s Lean Six Sigma (LSS) Belt training and coaching program
- Plans and manages LSS training program resources such as allocated budget dollars and team member responsibilities
- Applies principles of adult learning and instructional design approaches to learning solutions, in partnership with HR team
- Determines the most appropriate strategy, methodologies, and technologies to deliver learning programs
- Provides oversight and direction to team members involved in execution of training programs
- Supports activities such as candidate selection, coach development, project identification and assignment, and project governance
- Acts as an internal consultant and coach to guide teams through continuous improvement activities and develop others’ problem-solving capabilities and Lean leadership skills
- Facilitates problem-solving sessions with other divisions/teams as directed: Guides teams through project structuring, problem definition, issue identification and resolution development
- Leads teams through development and standardization of value stream maps, process maps, and SOPs as part of problem-solving consultations
- Works with the team leaders to involve management and stakeholders in improvement activities, help overcome barriers to team success, and manage change effectively
- Communicates results of process improvement events through high-quality, well-structured deliverables and articulate verbal presentation, and ensures measures are in place to sustain results Supports intake and prioritization of possible process improvement opportunities
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer