Project Manager - Retail Technology
Posted Date: Feb-13-2017
Job ID: 6553
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
What's cool about this job
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart
technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value
through technology. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a
part of innovating retail technology, the Project Manager – Retail Technology role is for you!
As the Project Manager – Retail Technology, you are going to be
managing key initiatives for REI that include new store technology, innovative
selling systems and systems that enhance the REI customer experience. You’ll be
in a highly visible role coordinating the efforts of 10+ resources to ensure
that $3M+ projects land successfully. This position will be managing the
execution process of some of the largest investments in technology that REI
will make in the next several years, so if you are targeting roles that truly
matter to REI – this is a role you must be in!
- Initiates, plans, controls and closes medium to
large cross-divisional, multi-year projects utilizing REI’s project management
- Advocates and evolves REI’s project management
- Plans the project in detail, organizes the
project team and works with resource managers to acquire and schedule
- Manages the progress of the project and
communicates the project status to management and stakeholders on a regular
- Ensures that overall project documentation is
completed, including requirements, designs, development, testing,
implementation, project management documentation and plans, policies and
procedures, new standards, contracts, issues lists and project status.
- Provides project management documentation and
reporting at appropriate stages of the project, including project statement,
work breakdown structure (time frames, resources, costs), detailed plan,
project logs, periodic status reports and the project completion report.
- Ensures project quality and success through
management of project action items, including managing issues and the decision
process, assessing risks, initiating change requests, meeting schedule and
deadlines for deliverables, financial planning, and timely completion of
- Identifies and provides recommendations for
project management process improvements.
- May act as a source for direction, training, and
guidance for less experienced departmental staff.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or
equivalent training and experience.
- 2+ years experience managing small to medium projects with both a business and technology focus.
- 2+ years experience building and leading teams.
- 2+ years experience in Retail Systems,
development and delivery (highly valued).
- 2+ years experience in information technology,
including leading project teams in systems analysis or software engineering.
- Thorough understanding of Agile software development
methodologies, values, and procedures.
- Experience with Mobile Store Technologies highly
- Experience managing multiple project teams.
- Experience developing team-level plans and
contributing to annual budgets.
- Experience with Enterprise Release management
process a plus.
- Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements
with vendors and service providers in the information technology business.
- Knowledge of multiple SDLC methodologies,
standards, procedures and organization that contribute to the development and
deployment of technology solutions.
- Skills in resource management, project
prioritization, problem solving, issue management and negotiation, and
- Strong organizational skills and ability to
handle multiple tasks and respond quickly to critical issues.
- Systems analysis and design skills.
- Knowledge of business principles from multiple
disciplines and ability to apply those principles.
- Experience with structured project life cycle,
systems development management tools and service management methodologies such
as Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- Ability to manage customer and vendor
- Ability to work collaboratively and across
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work
spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking,
and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and
actions on internal and external customers.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer