Posted Date: Feb-20-2017
Job ID: 6622
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Travel & Adventure
This job contributes to REI’s success by serving as a communications consultant to internal REI clients in REI Adventures, Outdoor Programs and New Ventures. Success in this role results in high level client satisfaction, tangible publicity impacts, and increased awareness of/participation in REI experiences resulting from attributed publicity efforts. The job requires an understanding of the traditional and social media landscape, a strong foundation in storytelling to strengthen and reinforce a brand, public relations programs/initiatives/reporting, superior knowledge of REI services, experiences and programs; and the ability to tailor pitches with appropriate media outlets. Responsibilities also include positioning REI with external stakeholders and supporting agency resources. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Develops and implements strategic media plans to leverage traditional and new media, including proactive media outreach for REI experiences.
- Creates materials and assets that are authentic to the co-op voice and brand on behalf of internal clients. This includes: press releases, talking points, templates, social media language, blogs, etc. In addition to national announcements, tools will be developed to support regional or market-based teams.
- Serves as a company spokesperson and prepares company spokespeople for working with the media. This may be through formal media training, developing talking points, as well as providing general counsel.
- Develops productive relationships with reporters at national and regional outdoor, lifestyle and vertical media outlets
- Directs the workload of external agency and freelancers.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations/public affairs, communications or journalism or three years’ experience in the public relations arena, with an emphasis on media relations, product launches and public relations campaigns.
- Proven success in developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating strategic, creative and results-oriented public relations programs
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer