Sales Lead - Houston
Posted Date: Sep-13-2017
Job ID: 8862
Job Type: Part Time
Job Function: Retail Sales
What's cool about this job
This role is based in our new REI Pro Shop in the Momentum Climbing Gym. This role provides an amazing customer experience with credible product expertise and advanced selling skills. This job contributes to REI’s success by using both experience and advanced product knowledge to build customer relationships and drive sales while also leading a range of daily administrative and shop operational duties. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Shop Operational and Administrative duties:
- Drives customer sales through all channels by maximizing selling behaviors. Capitalizes on all promotional events through successful event execution.
- Demonstrates strong interest and credible expertise in our product assortment; translates this knowledge into value for our customers.
- Processes customer transactions, including class and event registrations, accurately and efficiently.
- Passionately promotes REI’s membership and effectively converts non-members to members. Helps guide others to do the same.
- Delivers inspirational experiences for our members and customers through effective promotion of REI events, classes, Adventures trips and Adventure Projects trail apps
- Performs opening and closing responsiblities, which may include performing Key Holder duties.
- Supports management with accounting responsibilities, which may include banking and auditing, and reconciling Multicards, Petty Cash, and other cash and/or expense systems.
- Effectively processes and prepares store inventory: receives incoming shipments according to procedures, efficiently stocks and coordinates daily stocking process, actively manages merchandise, executes visual directions, and ensures a compelling presentation. Partners with local Visual Merchandising Point Person (VMPP) to ensure visual excellence.
- Adapts merchandise presentation based on changing inventory levels, new products, promotions, and market conditions (weather, events, etc.)
- Identifies areas of opportunity and acts on them as it relates to inventory accuracy, price accuracy, and product stock levels.
- Maintains inventory levels and assists with inventory audits
- Prices, organizes, evaluates or ships customer and product quality returns or transfers according to stated REI policies and procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for other operational or administrative functions as requested such as maintaining files/bulletin boards/calendars, monitoring and ordering supplies, facilitating mail in and out of the shop, recycling, trash removal, light housekeeping activities (dusting, vacuuming), or other simple maintenance tasks.
- Supports and partners with Retail Sales Managers through communication of goals, daily expectations, task assignments, staffing/scheduling needs and feedback.
- Trains and mentors new staff, provides direction to peers as necessary, coordinates service delivery, and task execution.
- Ensures shop is following Asset Protection standards and safety procedures.
Bring your passion and expertise
Do you aspire to adventure? Do you thrive in the outdoors and want to help others do the same? Bring your passion to REI and help fulfill our mission to educate, inspire and outfit our customers for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship! Here are some qualities we look for in our Sales Leads:
- Previous retail sales and customer services experience (preferred)
- Effective communication skills
- Strong knowledgeable of climbing and associated gear highly preferred.
- Completion of the REI Sales and Service Training and Membership Training prior to working on sales floor
- Requires open availability to work a flexible schedule based on business needs, including evenings and weekends
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer