Senior Communication Strategist, Marcom
Posted Date: Dec- 1-2016
Job ID: 5965
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by developing innovative and integrated brand and marketing communication strategies across all customer touchpoints. The Sr. Marcom Strategist is a collaborative, progressive thinker skilled at developing long term customer-centric communications. This role requires a strong background in marketing, brand and working closely with creative and business teams to connect communication strategies and creative expression to the business.
From collaborating with consumer insights, marketing integration and creative teams to other key strategic input partners, the strategist is accountable for setting the overall marketing communication priorities and strategic framework for advertising and marketing campaigns on a yearly, as well as quarterly cadence. With direction from Marketing and Creative leadership, this role defines the brand narrative and marketing campaigns, as well as define the communications goals and objectives, target audience, messages and tone in which the campaign should be delivered.
Responsible for unifying and developing future brand-right narratives and customer led stories. In addition to using in-depth business knowledge, the ideal candidate will utilize diverse methodologies around quantitative and qualitative research, data, and trends to lead work. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Leads integrated, multi-channel marketing communications plans and strategies working with key partners across the Marketing, Retail and Digital
- Defines strategy and guidelines for annual marcom spend planning in partnership with channel owners
- Maps year-long customer journeys based on marketing programs and campaign activity
- Co-develops and drives the strategy and storytelling (including brand framework, value propositions, personality and naming) across the Co-op
- Analyzes customer and business needs to determine actionable deliverables.
- Possesses deep understanding of research methods, both qualitative and quantitative, to extract consumer insights, trends and data
- Briefs the creative team, allowing them to create an effective and well-targeted proposition in support of briefs
- Collaborates with Customer Insights to identify consumer research needs, analyzes and applies those insights to ongoing brand and campaign development.
- Involved in directing research efforts for customer and brand strategy work - whether done internally or in partnership with outside consultants
- Partners closely with internal marketing and creative teams as well as cross-divisional business partners to bring positioning to life in powerful and emotional creative expressions
- Develops creative briefs that serve as the foundation of brand expression at both the enterprise and individual project level.
- Provides thought leadership and defines best practices which contributes to overall Co-op success
- Collaborates closely with creative teams to bring strategic insights to life in powerful and emotional creative expressions
- Evangelizes both creative strategy process and specific insights across the organization
- Presents findings and actively manages cross-divisional alignment process.
- Develops presentation models to drive alignment for creative expressions across and throughout the co-op
- Organizes, leads and facilitates strategic work sessions with cross-divisional leadership, business and creative partners to unlock dialogue, ideas and a holistic vision
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7+ years in strategic marketing or brand communications. Experience with multi-channel advertising, direct marketing, media and digital strategies
- 3+ years developing integrated communications plans including traditional marketing and digital channels
- Strategic thinker who can translate complex issues into simple principles to drive engagement and growth.
- Fluency in interpreting and directing multiple methods of qualitative and quantitive research.
- Strong project management skills including setting of scope and objective, resources, budget and timeline
- Demonstrated leadership skills working across a complex set of stakeholders and looks for ways to influence cross-functionally
- Customer advocate who considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Critical thinker and creative problem solver, who exercises good judgment in resolving difficult and unusual situations balancing divisional needs with enterprise priorities
- Demonstrates effective communications, presentation and persuasive speaking skills.
- Demonstrable excellence in both written and verbal communication.
- Deep understanding of user-centered design thinking
- Passion for great creative work and complex problem solving
- Degree preferred in related discipline: business, communications, marketing, advertising, sociology or related field
- Demonstrable cross-functional collaboration skills and interdisciplinary understanding.
- Strong skills in presentation development
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
Why you'll love it here
Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer