The Senior Manager, Materials & Color Design contributes to REI’s success by performing as a functional leader and key member of the Private Brand management team. This leader sets strategy for the material design and color department in close partnership with leadership and other functions, plans effectively and delivers successfully the respective annual goals set.
As part of our design leadership team, the role of the Materials Design & Color Senior Manager is to inspire, shape and lead creative teams to drive material design, trend strategy and color creation across a multi-season, multi-brand portfolio.
As a leader, you will work across all levels of the product and design organization, creating vision, seeking alignment and inspiring others to action. You will be a champion of creating product and material excellence. You will work with other leaders in planning and implementing focused, innovative, smart material stories. Provide insight to the team on the relevance of colors, materials to the outdoor consumer. In this role, you’ll manage the overall color, graphics and materials team, and collaborate closely with your other design partners and material development team. You’ll be a key partner not just in the design team, but with partners across REI and overall supply chain to ensure the material and color vision is successfully delivered to REI’s members.
Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
• Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
• Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
• Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
• Manage and lead the Materials, Graphic Design and Color team delivering products that support the Brands total strategic direction and meets Global commercial targets.
• Act as a strong advocate for product integrity by working closely with Divisional leaders and related support services to uphold quality standards and maintain competitive advantages.
• As a member of the Private Brands Leadership to influence and support the brand direction to deliver the company’s strategic goals
• Build and maintain a close relationship with Insight Design, Innovation & testing Design, Materials Dev & Prod, Tech Services, Sourcing.
• Develop, implement and manage team to drive material design, graphic design and color creation across a multi-season, multi-brand portfolio
• Details, monitors and ensures compliance to seasonal timeline milestones, recommends changes for milestones as needed
• Directly and indirectly manage a team of people to achieve business and product goals.
• Monitor creative efforts to ensure teams discover, share and apply insight from brand relevance, consumer behavior, trend, market, and field use.
• Stay current and relevant, by leading the research and presentation of emerging materials and color trends into seasonal palettes by attending material shows and meeting regularly with suppliers. Drive vision for multi-season material design strategy across all brands and departments
• Ensure vision for multi-season strategy is expressed and executed through people, process and product.
• Partner with leaders from overall REI organization to integrate product efforts with overall brand experience.
• Lead the materials and color calendar and process through direct reports.
• Build up and develops the team (objective setting, assessments, training, development) and fosters productive cross-category cooperation with the other key managers/relationships
• Allocate/delegate advanced materials expertise and work to create a network of contact within the industry
• Take lead role in overall evaluation of the risk associated with all material developments and communicate them to the product teams.
• Collaborate with creative, operations and merchant teams to support commercialization.
• Champion product design excellence in working meetings and formal presentations.
• Live the REI values.