Senior Performance Engineer
Posted Date: Apr-18-2017
Job ID: 6798
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
What's cool about this job
The Sr. Performance Engineer is responsible for designing and executing performance testing activities for a broad range of applications and platforms. This individual will drive performance strategy with the proper mix of business knowledge and technical leadership. Planning activities involve working closely with architects and technical leads to define the long term strategy for repeatable and scalable performance testing activities within the organization.
Solid understanding of automated regression testing in a continuous integration environment is required.
This individual will work closely with product management, software developers and system engineers and will participate in design discussions to understand system performance requirements. The Sr. Performance Engineer will conduct performance, scalability, and reliability tests of business tools, third party applications and consumer-facing e-Commerce applications. The successful Sr. Performance Engineer will design, orchestrate and analyze load and performance tests using a variety of testing tools (e.g. LoadRunner, JMeter), statistics and analysis techniques. Effective analysis and communication of performance test results, bottlenecks, sizing guidelines, and recommended improvements for Java applications and database specific issues is a key requirement for this role.
The successful candidate will have several years of progressively difficult applications development and/or performance testing experience which demonstrates: efficient coding practices, architectural and design ingenuity, attention to framework design, and holistic understanding of how testing can be applied in both Agile and Waterfall streams alike.
- Leads overall design, strategy and planning for performance testing efforts
- Reviews specifications, architecture and design for various software’s implemented in REI
- Leads environment setup, package installation and configurations needed for performance testing
- Represents the performance team and manages the team's deliverables/commitments.
- Leads proof of concept efforts for new performance and monitoring tools
- Handles special requests from operations for hardware testing and certification
- Provides technical leadership and mentoring to team members
- Collaborates with operations support and other teams to ensure robust production operations
- Builds repeatable performance testing frameworks for e-commerce products
- Experience with test automation in a continuous integration environment
- Experience in automated performance, scalability, and stress testing of highly scalable eCommerce systems using industry performance tools, e.g. Loadrunner, JMeter
- Strong system engineering skills
- Experience working with distributed Unix or Linux-based systems
- Experience with a variety of system monitoring tools
- Experience working with J2EE Application Servers (e.g., JBoss, Tomcat)
- Experience troubleshooting and tuning Java applications (e.g. JVM tuning)
- Experience working with messaging systems (e.g., MQ)
- Experience working with clustered DB systems (e.g., Oracle RAC)
- Experience with source control systems (e.g. CVS, Subversion)
- Experience with integrating a more iterative performance testing approach into an Agile delivery environment
- Knowledge of Software Configuration Management (SCM) practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to determine estimates of effort and impacts for a variety of solutions
- Ability to influence technical discussions and decisions
- Develop robust benchmark workloads based on production traffic patterns and anticipated feature usage with varying load levels and working sets
- Analyze and summarize test results in reports, capacity planning / best practice guides
- Develop and review test plans, results analysis, capacity planning guides
- Automate test scenarios using Java or other scripting languages
- Extend sophisticated end to end automation frameworks
- Reproduce critical customer situations requiring special performance tests or simulations
- Generate data for weekly charts trending product performance against target goals and project milestones
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, math, engineering or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of benchmark testing, performance analysis, and measurement of technically challenging applications
- 3+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of developmental experience with a load testing tool such as LoadRunner
- 1+ years of experience testing Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) Technology
- Strong knowledge of HTTP load generation, measurement, and testing tools (e.g. Loadrunner, JMeter, Junit)
- Strong programming skills in Java, C++ or C (Preferred)
- Strong troubleshooting and reasoning skills
- 2 years of experience with defect management technology such as bugzilla or HP Quality Center (Preferred)
- Ability to mentor junior engineering staff in performance testing methodology and practice
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer