Senior Software Engineer (Back End)
Posted Date: May-25-2017
Job ID: 7324
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
What's cool about this job
We are looking for a Senior Java Software Engineer to contribute to REI's success by designing, developing, implementing and supporting critical business applications for our digital retail division, building the next generation of features for rei.com. In this role, you'll be supporting our REI.com Checkout/Transaction team, by helping with the “Buy Online Pick Up in Store” (BOPUS) project to allow same day order pick up at the REI retail stores. This role will also work on checkout flow improvements and enhancements making it easier for customers/members to shop.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
- 8+ years engineering experience with large-scale applications.
- Ability to apply complex principles, theories and concepts of the technical discipline and provide solutions to a wide range of complex tasks, projects and problems
- Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Experience creating and executing implementation strategies for complex systems.
- Ability in all phases of technical writing for information or infrastructure systems.
- Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goal.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, documents and maintains applications systems, working on moderately complex to highly complex work tasks or project assignments in accordance with the current development and project management methodologies and practices.
- Gathers, analyzes and translates business and non-functional requirements into a solution design.
- May lead meetings to define business requirements and technical solutions.
- Manages tasks, estimates resources, establishes timelines and prioritizes work.
- Manages assigned work according to current project methodologies or as directed.
- Prepares required documentation for the portion of work assigned.
- Consults with Quality Assurance and business analysts in the development and execution of test plans.
- Analyzes monitoring gaps and proposes solutions for coverage and alerting on critical path problems.
- Provides technical assistance and problem resolution for assigned systems.
- Leads resolution of production support problems in accordance with problem management policies and procedures.
- Coordinates with vendors for problem resolution and change requests.
- Ensures that applications changes follow change management policies and procedures.
- Provides technical guidance to ensure that installed systems are working effectively and that proposed systems will meet organization’s future needs.
- Identifies and provides recommendations for system process improvements.
- May act as a source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff.
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some pretty dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer