Senior Systems Engineer - Middleware
Posted Date: May-26-2017
Job ID: 7532
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
What's cool about this job
The Senior Systems Engineer contributes to REI’s success by designing and maintaining IT system
architecture for the Enterprise. Duties include analyzing requirements for
solving highly complex business problems and coordinating detailed plans for
implementation. Installs, tests, implements, and supports highly complex
IT infrastructure systems. Diagnoses and resolves highly complex issues
regarding system configurations, including hardware and software installations,
setups, researching error messages and implementing fixes.
include Server and Operating System engineering for UNIX, Linux and Windows;
Puppet, Git and enterprise monitoring.
engineering for J2EE Application Servers, JBoss, Websphere, Tomcat, MQ Series,
Docker, Cloud services (AWS, Azure), and IBM Integration Bus.
to work in a DevOps environment.
and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or equivalent training and experience preferred.
- 5+ years Information Technology experience in Systems Engineering.
- Expert knowledge of at least one type, and working knowledge of multiple types, of currently installed platforms for area of assigned work such as servers, storage, collaboration, backup/recovery, middleware or monitoring systems.
- Advanced experience in the implementation and support of operating system level software.
- Advanced knowledge of appropriate solutions and processes for monitoring, tuning, backup/recovery of systems.
- Knowledge of local area network (LAN) infrastructure components and ability to troubleshoot and collaborate with staff and vendors to resolve problems.
- Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement.
- Ability in all areas of technical writing skills for information or infrastructure systems.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some pretty dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer