Posted Date: Apr-14-2017
Job ID: 7022
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
The Senior Tax Analyst contributes to REI’s success by providing strategic support in all aspects of indirect tax. A senior position requires in-depth knowledge of tax law and broad experience in indirect tax. This position is accountable for timely and accurate compliance, developing, streamlining and documenting processes. This position also initiates cross-divisional collaborations to ensure REI is in compliance and to minimize risks. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Strategic Tax Planning and Projects
· Analyze tax laws and assist in planning company acitivities to minimize the company’s tax burden
· Keep abreast of tax law developments through reading, continuing educations, and networking with other retail companies and tax professionals
· Analyze proposed/adopted tax legislations and state court case rulings, measuring the impact of such legislations and cases as applied to our business, and communicating any impact on future tax liability to team members.
· Perform special tax research projects and effectively communicate results to management
· Proactively identify, evaluate, and pursue tax savings opportunities
· Identify and evaluate company’s exposure and implement resolutions to minimize risks.
· Streamline and document processes.
Compliance and Tax Accounting
· Prepare, review, and audit tax compliance
· Prepare and analyze monthly general ledger reconciliations for tax reporting accounts and complete journal entries
· Monitor changes in tax legislations, update team and management on discovered modifications, and initiate alterations to comply with authoritative requirements
· Actively support internal departments to ensure business activities are tax compliant
· Assist Tax Manager in training and overseeing tax analyst I and II
· Analyze/validate tax correspondence from tax jurisdictions and prepare strategic response to Taxing Authorities
· Oversee vendor research relating to REI’s procurement taxability
· Research and monitor tax rate and rule changes and send out communication
· Coordinate validation and implementation of sales tax system updates, upgrades, or changes
· Troubleshoot system errors and collaboratively work with IT and third party vendor to resolve issues
· Coach and assist Retail Operations and Customer Service teams in handling tax issues with customers
· Support tax audits including pulling and analyzing relevant data. Develop and deliver company’s position to auditors. Assist with audit assesstments negotiations in support of company’s position.
· Proactively participate and assist in developing tax audit strategies for minimizing tax liabilities
· Timely respond to auditor requests, tax assessments, or notices and manage written and verbal communication with state and local tax representatives
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer