Senior Workers Compensation Program Manager
Posted Date: Dec-23-2016
Job ID: 5445
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Asset Protection
What's cool about this job
This job administers and oversees REI’s
multi-state self- insured Workers' Compensation program. Responsibilities include claims monitoring
and administration, report generation, and communication with employees,
managers, insurance carriers, medical personnel and legal representatives. The position contributes to REI’s success by
managing and reducing the multi-million dollar claims liability exposure.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Manage third party insurance carriers, claims management and strategic planning of Workers’ Compensation Program.
- Develop policy and procedures.
- Authorize claims settlements under $100k.
- Analyze risks as to frequency and potential severity and measure financial impact to Co-op.
- Keep updated on legislation and national, state and local issues affecting REI’s Workers’ Compensation Program.
- Oversee workers’ compensation claims, with primary focus on mitigation of the company’s multi-million dollar workers’ compensation liability.
- Assist employees in understanding their medical conditions and their legal rights and responsibilities.
- Provide information and support to employees with work-related medical conditions or disabilities, supervisors, and HR.
- Partner with Legal and HR to facilitate appropriate long term employment solutions for employees permanently impacted under workers’ compensation.
- Oversee third party administrators; provide guidance toward expedited resolution of complex claims, thereby reducing overall costs.
- Assist external attorneys with resolution of litigated cases, including settlement strategies. Authorize claims settlements under $100k.
- Assist with identifying fraud cases and related investigations.
- Facilitate and manage the Return to Work program to implement strategies that are cost effective for the company and productive and meaningful for the employee. Supports REI’s integrated disability management program.
- Assist in finding Modified Duty assignments.
- Track employees who are on Modified Duty.
- Ensure medical evaluation milestones are met.
- Manage onsite injury prevention and physical therapy services for distribution centers.
- Work with the Safety function to support injury prevention programs. Analyzes injury reports to identify trends and provide recommendations and development support of programs or enhancements to reduce incident rates.
- Tracks and maintains OSHA record keeping requirements where applicable.
- Follow all applicable laws and administer programs in accordance to company policies and procedures.
- Conduct regular claim review meetings with external service providers and front-line leadership to ensure proper program management.
- Develop training, policy and procedural revisions.
- Assist with policy renewals, issuance of certificates, and budget planning.
- Provide analysis and reporting to include metric dashboard presentations, validation of claim data accuracy, incident reporting and analysis, incident investigation, claim management, and customer support (education/guidance).
- Manage HQ and DC ergonomic programs, including medical substantiation of ADA/ADAAA workstation requests.
- Facilitate changes or enhancements to improve the overall effectiveness of REI’s Worker Compensation program.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 19 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer