Software Engineer (Front End)
Posted Date: May-25-2017
Job ID: 7477
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
What's cool about this job
The Front End Developer contributes to REI's success by developing new features and functionality for REI’s digital touch points. The Front End Developer is experienced in transforming data into the vision of REI’s Interaction Designers, Information Architects, and various Software Engineers to create interactive features that deliver exceptional customer experiences for REI. The Front End Developer will be accountable for various levels of complexity from new site enhancements, application development, mobile web development, coding for accessibility, search engine optimization, performance optimization, pattern library development and incident response.
You will put your experience, expertise and creativity to work. Are you passionate about team collaboration and technology? REI is redefining the online customer experience and as the front end developer, you'll be in the in defining the implementation of all features and functionality.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Currently we use jQuery, Lodash, Knockout, Handlebars and Nunjucks to name a few.
- Experience using CSS preprocessors and an ability to discuss their strengths and weaknesses (we use Less)
- Cross-browser and cross-platform design and testing experience.
- Ability to work with web content management systems Knowledge of JSP, and JSTL
- Experience with AJAX techniques, as well JSON and XML Implement and create APIs Experience integrating tracking and other analytics tags
- Requirements gathering from vendors and internal teams
- Four-year degree in related field or equivalent work experience preferred
- Experience working on large websites, with many interconnected systems
- Experience working in an e-commerce retail environment preferred
- Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement.
- With the size of our team this works out to be 1 week per 1.5 quarter
- Ability to diagnose and resolve site issues quickly
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some pretty dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer