Strategic Sourcing Category Manager
Posted Date: May-11-2017
Job ID: 7579
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by developing and executing complex sourcing, contracting and procurement strategies to achieve the best value and minimize risk for assigned strategic spend categories. Responsibilities will include overall success and management of sourcing, procurement and contracts for IT software, hardware, telecommunications and IT services spend categories, with total spend under management expected to exceed $30 million. Responsibilities may also include category management for other strategic business units.
Develops and implements practices that support REI Procurement team’s evolution into a best-in-class strategic procurement and sourcing organization. May mentors direct reports and other Procurement team members and leads cross-divisional teams. Provides value-added insight and planning support to business partners on complex capital project budgets. Creates and executes sourcing category plans for one or more key spend categories. Provides actionable insights to support business decision-making. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Develops full-cycle sourcing and procurement processes and carries out strategic sourcing and contract negotiations for products and services across multiple spend categories.
- Creates annual sourcing plans and category profiles in partnership with cross-divisional leadership.
- May mentor and guide direct reports to cost savings goals, department goals and supervise day-to-day activities.
- Identifies, researches and presents vendors for project consideration to business owners.
- Leads sourcing engagements and sourcing teams in the conduct of opportunity identification, RFPs and contracting.
- Negotiates contracts of more than $1,000,000, including complex capital purchases, service contracts, and construction agreements.
- Operationalizes key supplier relationship management roles and responsibilities.
- Facilitates interactions among Finance, Procurement team, and business owners to ensure budgets and expenditures are appropriate and align with objectives, strategies and tactics of REI.
- Actively seeks opportunities to reduce costs through acquisitions, sourcing decisions, and process improvements.
- Effectively leverages procure-to-pay, finance, and contract management software solutions to drive execution and to provide value-added data analysis for Procurement management and cross-divisional partners.
- Identifies and communicates sourcing, supplier relationship management and procurement best practices for non-merchandise to REI Procurement leadership, REI senior leadership, and internal business partners.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7+ years demonstrated procurement and sourcing experience supporting key strategic indirect spend categories, including development and execution of sourcing plans for complex IT portfolios; 5-10 years comprehensive sourcing experience in IT spend areas such as software-as-a-service, enterprise applications, and retail technology.
- 5+ years of experience managing strategic vendor relationships to maximize benefits of supplier partnerships.
- Deep understanding of IT landscape and technology supplier landscape
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain, Finance, Engineering or similar.
- MBA or Master’s degree in Supply Chain Management or similar
- CPM, CPSM, APICS or similar certification
- Ability to develop and manage complex sourcing category profiles and planning documents
- Ability to create, analyze and negotiate complex contracts with minimal guidance and consultation from Legal staff.
- Extensive experience leading, and collaborating with, cross-divisional project teams.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and explain business and legal risks within contracts.
- Able to influence leadership cross-divisionally to develop, roll out and continuously improve procurement and supplier relationship processes.
- Ability to understand Finance and budget implications of proposed expenditures.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with a broad range of stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- Embodies REI values.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer