Vice President, Private Brands
Posted Date: Mar-27-2017
Job ID: 7180
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
What's cool about this job
At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived!
REI is a trusted retailer of outdoor gear and experiences since the 1938 and is now the nation's largest consumer co-op. Since the beginning, REI has been committed to helping people enjoy the great outdoors to the fullest - from weekend family camping trips to Mt. Everest expeditions – through offering innovative, high-quality outdoor gear, apparel and experiences.
The Vice President of Private Brands will create and communicate a vision for REI’s private brands, ensuring that agreed upon financial performance targets are achieved. They will be an expert in working with the complete product lifecycle including product design, development and manufacturing. As a change agent, they will define multi-year Co-op and market share objectives in collaboration with partners in our Merchandising division.
The Vice President of Private Brands will act as a trusted advisor to executive leadership and take an entrepreneurial approach to REI Co-op brands’ presence within the overall merchandise assortment. While this role is deeply rooted in leading the operational excellence of people and product commercialization, equally important is that he/she has an unwavering passion for product design, innovation, and quality.
Bring your passion and expertise
- The successful candidate will have 15+ years in the retail or wholesale industry and 10+ years in a leadership role.
- Experience with P&L responsibility.
- Expert general management and broad business knowledge of the company’s strategies, finances, customers and competitors.
- The candidate will have significant experience in brand and marketing, sourcing and manufacturing, product design and development.
- Team leadership (40+ person team); strong mentoring and servant leader approach.
- Proven track record of transformational leadership.
- The ability to influence and inspire through, around and with people in a fast-growing, dynamic organization.
- Fosters change in company direction; effectively plans and executes changes.
- Broad executive team interaction and experience working across various internal groups and providing overall company insights beyond functional role.
- Uses business insight, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Ability to help the company take appropriate business risks.
- Ability to anticipate, recognize and assess relevance of issues before escalating to major issues.
- Knowledge of the business of marketing including consumer need identification, public affairs, visual merchandising, and advertising preferred.
- Experience operating within a multi-channel retail company with revenue of $500M+ strongly preferred.
- Willingness to engage in international travel
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field.
- Master’s Degree in business or related field preferred.
- Passion and alignment with REI mission, team leadership and culture.
- Passion for the outdoors.
Why you'll love it here
REI is more than just a place to work. It’s a fun, inspired culture where a rare balance is struck between professional duties and personal adventures. Whether you camp, paddle board, climb mountains or simply prefer local parks, the outdoors connects us all. Then factor in REI’s stewardship, dedication to sustainability and contributions to our customers’ loved outdoor spaces and you have a recipe for some passionate employees.
We are not accepting candidates from search firms.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer