Warehouse Associate - Shipping Department 1st Shift
Posted Date: Sep-29-2016
Job ID: 5462
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Distribution Center
What's cool about this job
Our Warehouse Associates are a vital part of the REI Team and are the most common entry point into our Distribution Center Team. This is a critical roles in REI’s company as the Associate is the last critical REI touch point before a product reaches our customers doors! These positions support all areas of the Distribution Center including, but not limited to, the following areas: merchandise handling (picking and putting away), receiving, price marking, splitting, shipping, packaging specialized customer orders, handling cardboard and waste for team efficiency and the preparation and assembly of bicycles.
Bring your passion and expertise
We are looking for bright and motivated people to join our Distribution Center staff and help contribute to REI’s success as the nation’s largest consumer co-op. The primary focus of the Warehouse Associate is to move product accurately and efficiently throughout the warehouse. Some of these associates may have the opportunity, after training and certification, to operate power equipment such as pallet riders. Associates will work in multiple areas as assigned and support areas based on business volume and team performance.
Here are the skills we look for in our Warehouse Associates:
- Prior warehouse or relevant experience
- Familiarity working with computer systems and/or RF equipment
- Prior experience using power equipment to safely process freight throughout the facility (current and valid drivers license suffices)
- Ability to comprehend and apply Standard Operations Procedures (SOP’s) and receive direction from peers, operational leads, and Supervisors, Operations.
- Physical ability to frequently lift and shift boxes weighing an average of 20 to 30 pounds with a maximum of 65 pounds throughout a full shift of work.
- Ability to meet or exceed attendance requirements, providing reliable and predictable attendance.
- Ability to work safely, minding personal and team safety in daily operations.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to work in multiple areas as trained on a daily or weekly basis.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- The ability to frequently lift and shift boxes weighing an average of 20 to 30 pounds with a maximum of 65 pounds throughout a full shift of work.
- The ability to work in a standing or walking environment for 8-10 hour shifts
- The ability to cross train in other departments
- The ability to comprehend and apply SOP’s
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 19 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer