Activity Center Lead - Bellevue Boat House
Posted Date: Mar-27-2019
Job ID: 13963
Job Function: Outdoor Education
Store: Co-op Boathouse - Meydenbauer Bay Park
What's cool about this job
Do you want to help others play outside for a living? Are you thinking to yourself, what could be better? Great news! REI is currently hiring an Activity Center Lead! REI Activity Centers are a place where people can learn the basics needed to embark on a new adventure, rent the necessary gear, or plan their adventures. In this role, you will provide the rental gear and instruction to REI members and customers for activities which may include: Kayaking, Stand-Up Paddle boarding, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Road Cycling, Hiking, Snowshoeing, Backpacking, Camping, Natural History, Outdoor Photography as well as social outings and events. As a Lead, you will support the business, handling shop operations and administrative duties. Combine your passion with your work. Responsibilities for this position include:
Drives Rentals and Sales:
- Drives customer sales through all channels by maximizing selling behaviors. Capitalizes on all promotional events through successful event execution.
- Demonstrates strong interest and credible expertise in our product assortment; translates this knowledge into value for our customers.
- Processes customer transactions, including rentals and class/event registrations, accurately and efficiently.
- Passionately promotes REI’s membership and effectively converts non-members to members. Helps guide others to do the same.
- Delivers inspirational experiences for our members and customers through effective promotion of REI events, classes, Adventures trips and Adventure Projects trail apps.
Shop Operational and Administrative duties:
- Performs opening and closing responsibilities, which may include performing Key Holder duties.
- Supports management with accounting responsibilities, which may include banking and auditing, and reconciling Multicards, Petty Cash, and other cash and/or expense systems.
- Effectively processes and prepares store inventory: receives incoming shipments according to procedures, efficiently stocks and coordinates daily stocking process, actively manages merchandise, executes visual directions, and ensures a compelling presentation. Partners with local Visual Merchandising Point Person (VMPP) to ensure visual excellence.
- Adapts merchandise presentation based on changing inventory levels, new products, promotions, and market conditions (weather, events, etc.)
- Identifies areas of opportunity and acts on them as it relates to inventory accuracy, price accuracy, and product stock levels.
- Maintains inventory levels and assists with inventory audits.
- Prices, organizes, evaluates or ships customer and product quality returns or transfers according to stated REI policies and procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for other operational or administrative functions as requested such as maintaining files/bulletin boards/calendars, monitoring and ordering supplies, facilitating mail in and out of the shop, recycling, trash removal, light housekeeping activities (dusting, vacuuming), or other simple maintenance tasks.
- Successfully leads REI Outdoor School outings and classes.
- Delivers class content, customer service during outings, and ensures the safety of all participants.
- Maintains equipment and coordinates outing logistics prior to field day.
- Guides large groups of people through instructional and experiential outings.
- Demonstrates high competence in the course content, as well as skills in demonstrating the designated activity.
- Responds, assess, and delivers wilderness first aid to outing participants.
- Supports and partners with Experience Managers and Retail Sales Managers through communication of goals, daily expectations, task assignments, staffing/scheduling needs and feedback.
- Trains and mentors new staff, provides direction to peers as necessary, coordinates service delivery, and task execution.
- Ensures shop is following Asset Protection standards and safety procedures.
- Provides effective 2-way communication between internal and external partners, REI customers, and staff.
- Demonstrates initiative, productivity, and serves as a role model for others.
Bring your passion and expertise
Do you thrive in the outdoors and want to help others do the same? REI’s outdoor experiences and activity centers provide entry-level to intermediate-level outdoor education, recreation and rental programs. Here are the skills and experience levels we look for in our Activity Center Specialists:
- Previous retail, rental facility or outdoor programs experience
- Inventory/merchandise management experience
- Successful work experience in an office environment
- Meet availability requirements including some nights and weekends
- Knowledgeable of outdoor activities in assigned activity center. Regional knowledge of outdoor venues and resources.
- Proven ability to show attention to detail
- Complete required sales, membership, and operational training prior to working independently
- Able to lift 35 pounds periodically for up to two hours
- Ability to safely operate power material handing equipment
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- 3+ years of experience in outdoor education, experience teaching and/or guiding outdoor participation
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification required, Wilderness First Responder preferred
- Certification or equivalent experience in technical outdoor education preferred (ACA, AMGA, IMBA, LCI, etc).
- Valid driver’s license with no negative incidents, ability to acquire a commercial driver’s license
- Knowledge of legal and risk management issues related to outdoor education
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer