Activity Center Manager- Cherry Creek
Posted Date: Mar-15-2019
Job ID: 13816
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Outdoor Education
Store: Greenwood Village
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by managing REI’s experience and retail business at an activity center location. The Activity Center Manager will report to the Manager - Activity Centers at HQ will report to the Outdoor Programs Mark. The position is located within an experiences market and oversees REI Outdoor education and recreation programs, events, equipment rentals and small footprint retail sales at a specific site(s) (Boathouse, climbing gym, mountain center, bike center, etc.). The Activity Center Manager will be responsible for driving retail sales and participation growth, managing and training instructional and retail staff, and serving as the main point of contact for partnerships, local risk management, land agencies, and retail teams. Approximately 3-5 full-time staff and 10-15 part-time instructors will report to this individual. The Activity Center Manager will work in partnership with the OPO Market Manager and market teams to ensure consistency in experiences across a region as well as collaborating with partners in retail. Some additional responsibilities include activity center budget management, local marketing implementation, partnership coordination, activity center program assortment, planning, and reporting, activity center program operations, as well as a partnership with HQ teams to implement initiatives. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 1-2 years of experience supervising outdoor experiences including rentals, educational and recreational programs
- 2 years experiences supervising/leading a small retail shop or department within a retail store
- Excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills. Proven ability to communicate effectively in team environments, to build and foster effective working relationships within REI and with multiple business partners.
- Experience managing permits and agreements with land agencies and partners
- Experience managing budgets over $200,000. Proven successful experience in creating annual plans, budgeting, execution, and evaluation.
- Working knowledge of legal, regulatory, and risk management issues related to outdoor recreation.
- Wilderness First Aid or First Responder Certification (within 1st 3 months of hire).
- BA degree in business management, or outdoor recreation management or equivalent a plus.
- Ability to acquire a CDL and/or drive a 15 passenger van and loaded trailer – valid driver’s license and ability to pass a MVR check
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer