Activity Center Specialist
Posted Date: Mar-27-2019
Job ID: 13966
Job Function: Outdoor Education
City: Greenwood Village
Store: Co-op Boathouse - Cherry Creek State Park
What's cool about this job
Do you want to help others play outside for a living? Are you thinking to yourself, what could be better? Great news! REI is currently hiring Activity Center Specialists! REI Activity Centers are a place where people can learn the basics needed to embark on a new adventure, rent the necessary gear, or plan their adventures. In this role, you will provide the rental gear and guidance to REI members and customers for activities which may include: Kayaking, Stand-Up Paddle boarding, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Road Cycling, Hiking, Snowshoeing, Backpacking, Camping, Natural History, Outdoor Photography as well as social outings and events. Combine your passion with your work. Responsibilities for this position include:
- Supports customers by responding to rental, product, membership and REI service questions, general inquiries and customer feedback.
- Supports customers in the selection and use of rental equipment. Provide basic information on safety, weather, navigation and equipment use.
- Ensures that rental items are clean, functioning, and in safe working condition prior to giving them to customers and ensures repairs are made to equipment as needed.
- Processes customer reservations and rental paperwork accurately and efficiently; requests deposits according to guidelines and processes transactions.
- Effectively helps to prepare the location and maintains and stocks work areas making sure all items are accurately priced.
- Works with management, visual merchandising point person, and Sales Leads to maintain visual standards.
- Promotes the sale and rental of REI goods and services as well as engaging in the steps of REI’s Sales and Service Training.
- Provide customers with product, membership and service information including but not limited to the REI MasterCard program.
- Processes purchase, membership, service and return transactions at the register in alignment with REI’s 100% satisfaction guarantee. Collect payment for goods, make change, and distribute receipts.
- Processes damaged goods according to store policy. This may involve tagging, moving and/or repricing the item.
- Re-prices unused items that are returned with missing price tags.
- Identify, research, and resolve customer issues.
- Performs unique transactions such as special orders, Outdoor School registration, special ticket sales, and store mail-outs.
- Maintains customer and employee hold area by keeping the area organized and removing items that are beyond the hold dates.
- Informs customers of repair options.
Bring your passion and expertise
Do you thrive in the outdoors and want to help others do the same? REI’s outdoor experiences and activity centers provide entry-level to intermediate-level outdoor education, recreation and rental programs. Here are the skills and experience levels we look for in our Activity Center Specialists:
- Previous retail store, rental facility, or outdoor programs experience preferred.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer