Activity Center Supervisor - Lincoln Woods
Posted Date: Apr- 5-2019
Job ID: 14061
Job Function: Retail Operations
State: Rhode Island
Store: Co-Op Boathouse - Lincoln Woods
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading REI Activity Centers through supervising and mentoring Activity Center staff, instructors/guides, retail/rental facilities, operations, events, and guided programs. This position will ensure program risk management, coordinate operations for all local classes and outings, teach field classes, oversee specific activity center events and local partnerships. Supervisors will be responsible for the delivery of the Activity Center’s retail and rental lines of business as well as opening and closing the facilities. They curate class and outing content and manage the safety of all participants in the field while providing excellent customer service, REI branding, and role modeling for instructors and Activity Center staff. Additional responsibilities include overseeing inventory, equipment maintenance, coordinating outing and event logistics, scheduling staff and program assortment, and ensure permitting prior to all programs. Other duties include hiring, serving as staff trainer, performing administrative duties, working with store management teams, communicating with customers and local business/community partners, and conducting field assessment of classes and instructors. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 2+ years of experience in outdoor education programs, leadership and development, experiential education instruction and/or guiding outdoor participation
- 1+ years of experience managing and supervising a diverse team
- 1+ years of experience managing a retail and/or rental operation
- Proven outdoor leadership skills and ability to function collaboratively
- Working knowledge of legal, regulatory, and risk management issues related to outdoor education
- Excellent presentation and instruction skills
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification required
- Wilderness First Responder Certification preferred
- Instructor certifications or relevant experience in activities being offered (i.e., AMGA Climbing, ACA Kayak, PSIA Ski Instructor, etc.) preferred
- Valid driver’s license with no negative incidents; capability of acquiring a commercial driver’s license
- Previous Events, Branding, and Experiential Marketing Experience preferred
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer