Posted Date: Jul-26-2018
Job ID: 11579
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
As part of our product creation team, the Apparel Product Developer works collaboratively with their key partners in the development of their projects and categories. As a developer, you must have knowledge in the total product development process, including construction, fitting and basic patterning as well as a level of knowledge around the development process from concept to commercialization/ production. Alongside the Development Manager and Senior Developers, you will be expected to foster this knowledge throughout the product creation teams and process.
In this role you will also be tasked with the managing & engineering of prototypes through production ready. You will be working with various product creation groups (technical services, design, innovation team, overseas factories, etc.) to drive the technical package process and ensure products meet or exceed our quality standards. This role is responsible for generating and communicating ideas regarding the overall performance and value of our products to our manufacturing resources.
- Ability to drive forward and manage multiple projects from brief stage through design, development, and start of production
- Create and manage technical packages to assure documentation is current and production ready.
- Display an in-depth knowledge of the apparel manufacturing process with the ability to manipulate/ engineer the process in order to achieve new manufacturing techniques which enhance the overall performance of product and to create production ready products.
- Manage fit sessions and own product fit and construction, including problem solving with vendor partners to achieve desired results.
- Collaborate with costing teams to ensure product is meeting cost objectives. This including coming up with alternative suggestions to achieve cost targets.
- Partner & collaborate with designers, technical services, testing team & overseas partners to ensure product execution
- Plan and execute project development according to the seasonal critical dates that lead to on–time delivery of samples and production confirmation.
- Ability to critique, adjust and evaluate design concepts and prototypes from a performance, manufacturing, and functional perspective
- Proven track record of critiquing, adjusting and evaluating design concepts and prototypes from a performance, manufacturing, and functional perspective
- Partner with development, product team and design to ensure that designs are manufacture able, meet cost and quality objectives of the organization
- Displays knowledge in construction and technical expertise, is willing to extend outside of their area to support and problem solve.
- Proactively manages their projects, including all issues surrounding them and reaches across multiple team to resolve any issues. Ensures their manager is involved as needed.
- Review, document and communicate changes, test results and requirements of samples to our factory resources.
- Travel to Asia to work with manufacturers and suppliers on current and future development projects
- Ability to communicate and implement process improvement plans at both the factory level & internal creation team level.
- Have an understanding and ability to course correct projects that fall off calendar. Create and communicate a plan for these situations that outlines in details the needs of the specific project. Ability to partner with their manager to achieve said goal.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree in Apparel Development, or like fields is preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in the product development of apparel including product specification, garment fitting, technical illustration, pattern & grading
- Experienced knowledge of product development and manufacturing experience
- Current computer hardware and software proficiency - MS Office suite; Outlook, Word, Excel, ect.
- In depth experience taking consumer goods to market; from concept to manufacturing, including managing projects against a timeline
- Skilled at specification documentation, technical illustration - Adobe Illustrator
- Experience with PLM/ PDM systems
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Accurate, detailed and highly organized work methods
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem solving skills related to product physical design, construction and production
- Proven innovative thinking and the ability to use sound judgment to resolve problems.
- Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our strategic partners, other departments and the product in general – always looking out for what is best for our end consumer
- Willingness to go above and beyond by diving into the details, improving products and processes and helping out whenever necessary
- A passion for the outdoors, creating products and living our values
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change. Through mentoring and proven on time development.
- Must be willing to travel domestically and internationally, around 25% of the year or as needed. (trade shows, insights, Asia development)
- 3+ years traveling and working with foreign manufactures. Time in Asia preferred
Why you'll love it here
We are a team of creative, passionate people who love the outdoors. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work to create amazing products and brand experiences exclusively for REI’s customers.
We’re passionate about delivering compelling, meaningful products in the market. Whether it’s heading out for a weekend of backpacking, a long bike ride or just a walk in the rain. We are guided by our values of authenticity, quality, services, respect, integrity and balance. By joining the REI Private Brands team, you have the opportunity to make a difference, be challenged to create excellence and enrich our creative community.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer