Area Retail Asset Protection Specialist
Posted Date: Jan-27-2021
Job ID: 18962
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Asset Protection
City: San Francisco
Store: San Francisco
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by mitigating and reducing shrink (including theft and fraud by customers and employees) and increasing physical security for people and products in a number of specified retail stores and company events. Among the activities the incumbent performs are: (i) conducting Asset Protection training of store management and staff; (ii) conducting investigations when theft or fraud by customers or employees is suspected; and (iii) in consultation with the HQ Asset Protection department, making recommendations or taking action to address shrink and physical security. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Develops and compiles documentation related to comprehensive investigations into a variety of risk or loss situations within the retail store
- Coordinates law enforcement activity and compiles case files for prosecuting attorneys; works closely with law enforcement and prosecuting attorneys monitoring progress and providing additional information and data in support of law enforcement investigations and cases
- Detain shoplifters and recover stolen merchandise
- When requested by HQ Asset Protection or the Legal Department, represents REI in court
- Monitors and assesses physical security of assigned retail stores and works with HQ Asset Protection on any issues of security.
- Administers Asset Protection training program for stores to build Asset Protection capacity and expertise among store management and staff
- Support market stores with Asset Protection services, when directed by HQ Asset Protection
- Adheres to REI’s and HQ Asset Protection’s policies and procedures and ensures that such policies and procedures are implemented throughout the store
- Collaborates with HQ Asset Protection and the store managers to establish and deepen the understanding and support of in-store Asset Protection activities
- Participates in periodic training and subject matter updates provided by HQ Asset Protection
- Provides evaluations of store specific Asset Protection strengths and opportunities
- Provides consistent reporting to Field Asset Protection leadership on opportunities and ideas for enhancement of Asset Protection activities and outcomes in the stores
Bring your passion and expertise
- Minimum of 3 years fraud research and security experience, including CCTV usage, in a retail store setting with a national brand (or equivalent experience)
- Knowledge of local laws on theft, shoplifting and apprehension
- Ability to apply effective analytical and critical thinking skills, solve problems independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to effectively convey knowledge, information, and skills to others through in-person and virtual sessions
- Broad knowledge of REI’s business operations, computer environment and applications
- Experience with PC applications, preferably Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and to deliver results independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated ability to apply effective analytical and critical thinking skills, and to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills; ability to interact well and build rapport with individuals at all levels within and outside the organization
- Ability to initiate better work methods and procedures
- Demonstrated capacity to exercise prudent judgment after assessing situational circumstances
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer