Art Director (Product Graphics)
Posted Date: Apr-22-2019
Job ID: 13062
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
Are you obsessed with vintage outdoor graphics and National Park signage? Can you make a Nalgene sing? Can you build a t-shirt line around an idea, a song or a story?
This Art Director role is responsible for graphic wizardry that tells a story and is the artistic expression of the co-op. Each season, you will be responsible for bringing the seasonal narrative to life through on product-graphics for gear and apparel. In this role, you will mentor and manage other graphic gurus (designer/artists) as well as merchandising partners to drive the work from concept to finished product. Beyond that, you will be a resource and collaborator with our product design teams and teams across the co-op, from Strategy to Marketing, Merchandising and overall Supply Chain to ensure design vision and intent is delivered to REI’s members. This Art Director is the go-to person for original graphics that reflect who we are in a myriad of applications.
You will be asked to drive the creation of meaningful graphics that reflect a love for the outdoors. A keen awareness of macro trends and the past, present, and future of the outdoor industry is key. Our 80 year history of getting out there is our ongoing well of inspiration. If you’re the type who scours the deep internet –or world– for long lost vintage graphic gold, we’ll have a lot to geek out over.
Join our motley crew, the product brand team at REI Co-op, and let’s create some cool stuff with a positive impact.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 10+ years prior experience in Graphic Design with a degree in Graphic Design, related degree and relevant industry experience may be considered
- Proven ability to tell compelling stories and guide product direction through the use of graphics
- Skills to lead design thinking with prolific and proficient ideation process
- Strong team/people leadership practices through: establishing an environment of creativity, design excellence, teamwork, motivation, accountability and drive for successful outcomes
- Excellent organizational & follow-up skills through verbal & written communication.
- Working knowledge of separation, printing processes, silkscreen color separation, lab dip approvals, broad materials/trims and manufacturing process
- Demonstrated behavior to be curious, challenge the status quo, and create continuous design advancement for product and the team overall
- Ability to gather, express, and apply market trends to guide design direction
- Compelling presentation skills across visual, written, and verbal forms to express design thought
- Proven ability to plan and meet deadlines within a product development calendar
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to achieve positive results
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Computer proficiency: Adobe Design Standard and all office tools
- Domestic and international travel required
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best. Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Experience and expertise in illustration
- Experience and expertise in designing t-shirt graphics and accessories
- Experience in creating branded trims and labels preferred
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer