Assistant Category Merchant - Running Footwear & Fitness Hard Goods
Posted Date: Jan-27-2020
Job ID: 16990
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Merchandising
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
Working closely with the Category Merchandising Manager (CMM), the Assistant Category Merchant (ACM) contributes to REI’s success by ensuring the execution and implementation of the department assortment strategies: managing work flow internally through partnering with vendors, planning, replenishment and collaborating with cross-divisional partners. The ACM is responsible for style plan management and integrity. This role partners with Merchandising Data Specialist (MDS) to coordinate product data creation and maintenance. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Manages workflow and timeline of Merchandising team (includes planning and replenishment)
- Partners with CMM to manage style plan data and accuracy
- Represents the business on behalf of CMM in their absence
- Collaborates with visual merchandising and digital teams to bring department strategy to life
- Works closely with Sr. CMM Digital to maximize digital selling opportunities
- Coordinates and supports marketing plans and proofing
- Coordinates competitive and other analysis, as needed
- Coordinates vendor and product data implementation with MDS
- Develops and manages tactical vendor partnership
- Resolves cross-divisional and vendor operational issues
- Maintains vendor MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy information
- Owns sample management
- Partners with Merchandising Data Specialist & Forecast Analyst to manage open orders
Bring your passion and expertise
- 3 – 5 years merchandising, retail or direct sales experience, or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or Merchandising
- Independent thinking and problem solving
- Self-starter, with a strong drive to move work forward
- Demonstrated understanding of appropriate assortment planning fundamentals (price ladder, competitive set, target customer analysis, etc.)
- Developed eye for brand appropriate product
- Demonstrated market and trend awareness
- Demonstrated confidence presenting in small and large groups
- Ability to develop strong, collaborative relationships with vendors and cross-divisional partnersAbility to appropriately tailor both written and verbal communication to different audiences
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate department strategies and product initiatives to internal and external audiences
- Proactively seeks opportunities to maximize department business
- Demonstrates business initiative. Brings forward new ideas to grow business and gain competitive advantage through market analysis
- Proactively seeks career development opportunities
- Demonstrated understanding of merchandising math principles – IMU (Initial Markup), MDs (Markdowns), GM (Gross Margin)
- Ability to interpret, analyze and present key business metrics
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer