Associate Creative Director, Mobile
Posted Date: Feb-26-2019
Job ID: 13551
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Associate Creative Director, Mobile will contribute to REI’s success by being the visionary leader of REI’s consumer and employee mobile app design and experience direction; setting the methodologies and aligning envisioned solutions against the mobile app strategy. They will work closely with the product team, researchers, and designers to concept and execute compelling, engaging, user-focused, digital experiences across all mobile touchpoints for REI. They are accountable for ensuring a consistent, cohesive and user-centered brand customer experience.
The ideal candidate has a proven ability to work cross-functionally to lead innovative solutions and articulate the creative design vision which results in highly impactful, efficient, and quality execution. They promote creativity, innovation, and collaborative partnerships and foster a supportive atmosphere that raises the bar for all individuals under their direction. They model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Leading the Way (team leadership, coaching, and development responsibilities for this “manager of staff”).
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges, mentors, and inspires employees to achieve personal growth and business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to creative teams in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department and helps to represent the mobile strategy across divisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Your Planning & Navigating Requirements (the plans the job is responsible for creating and executing, and how the job ensures they are implemented).
- Drives the creative teams to deliver innovative digital products, providing creative inspiration that pushes boundaries, while respecting the principles of good user experience.
- Helps define visual design direction for all REI consumer and employee mobile applications.
- Partners with the marketing, IT, user experience, and technology teams to deliver effective solutions that meet REI’s business, brand and experience goals.
- Provide leadership on highly complex visual design projects, and guides the design direction in support of all mobile strategies and corporate initiatives.
- Foster a culture of design thinking, helping designers, researchers, and stakeholders go beyond the obvious solutions into the elegant.
- Provides recommendations for enhanced user experiences, and champions user-centered design process improvements. Ensures that improvements are implemented and monitored to increase efficiency, quality, and performance.
- Provides relevant, constructive feedback and coaching regarding customer experience strategies, brand execution, and visual design best practices.
- Guides the mobile creative team within the digital retail group in collaboration with other directors.
- Maintains relationships with senior leadership, vendors, and corporate clients.
- Stays current with the competitive landscape, emerging technology trends, and best practices.
- Accountable for working with own and cross-divisional team to communicate and govern the REI digital pattern library.
- Takes an active role in REI’s Design community of practice to share ideas, promote best practices, assist design partners across the Co-op, and train internal creative talent.
- Maintains all legal standards as applicable to marketing strategies and corporate initiatives.
- Directs creative management to operate in accordance with planned budgets.
- Directs creative management to uphold a corporate culture of collaboration, innovation, accountability, trust, and respect.
- Develops all budget requirements to support the creation of all digital needs and corporate initiatives for internal clients.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7+years of experience in a marketing communications field, with demonstrated results in the portfolio.
- 2+ years of Creative Leadership experience managing people.
- Excellent ability to communicate strategies and concepts across a large organization. This includes developing systems, technology solutions, and giving presentations that leave people with a thorough understanding of marketing strategies, visions, and corporate initiatives. Experience presenting to executive management.
- Ability to clearly convey complex ideas in a simple way.
- Passionate and eloquent advocate for the REI brand.
- Ability to develop and lead creative solutions that meet REI marketing strategic needs and corporate initiatives.
- Understand all forms of communication and marketing, and to be conversant in the way they are used to build a successful brand and drive sales results.
- Ability to collaborate across all divisional partners, and to broker compromise and consensus without sacrificing the quality of the solution.
- Develop and maintain budget requirements for support of all marketing strategies and corporate initiatives.
- Ability to prioritize which efforts will generate the most return, and to direct the organization accordingly.
- Ability to work toward collective goals while still respecting the contributions of the individual.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others accountable to expectations.
- Collaborates with leadership team and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans, concepts, executes, and supports the goals of marketing strategies and corporate initiatives.
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer