Associate Editor - Travel & Experiences, Program Specialist
Posted Date: Jan-11-2019
Job ID: 13046
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
Contribute to REI’s success through the production of compelling, brand-appropriate editorial content that aligns our content marketing strategy to business goals, and helps establish REI as a primary information source for outdoor culture, education, news and entertainment. As Program Specialist, Associate Editor, this role is accountable for assigning, editing and occasionally writing adventure travel content, travel guides, and lifestyle travel editorial, balancing service journalism and utility with inspiration and entertainment. That accountability includes content management and supporting editorial development and strategy of the REI Co-op Journal, a leading publisher of outdoor content at large. Working in conjunction with our SEO strategy team and in support of the Co-op Journal Editor, collaborate with internal and external partners to identify and bring stories to life, on message, on time and on budget.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of adventure travel and activity trends, and how consumers engage with travel content. You understand the nuanced differences across local, regional and international travel editorial as it relates to consumer interest and need. You have the ability to condense vast subject matter into structured, useful takeaways for readers. You will be able to provide actionable service based on user intent, but without sacrificing voice and accessibility. This means identifying and creating story opportunities based on measurable insights, and editing others’ work to bring clarity to first drafts. You’re comfortable turning broad messaging themes into specific content ideas and forms, and understand the strategy behind and influence of editorial calendars and production cycles. You know how to handle the logistics of editorial production against long-lead and tight timelines alike. You pay attention to best practices in the media and creative industries and are amped for the opportunity to bring your point-of-view to REI. You love the outdoors.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 2+ years of in-house editorial experience, ideally with an adventure travel focus in the outdoor industry (or related).
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, English, communications or journalism or equivalent work experience.
- Professional writing and editing capabilities; ability to create, curate, edit and align information to meet content needs. Familiarity with Associated Press (AP) style.
- Proven success in developing, editing, publishing and evaluating results-oriented editorial production.
- Experience working as an assigning editor to freelance writers and/or external partners, with a high confidence level in providing narrative and structural feedback in addition to copy edits.
- Demonstrated understanding of content in service of SEO strategy.
- Experience with publishing for social media.
- Basic understanding of performance metrics and industry benchmarks by channel and format, and how concept and distribution tactics impact those benchmarks.
- Basic understanding of content strategy methodologies to ensure content is created and structured for broad use and reuse.
- Working knowledge of visual asset libraries and image licensing standards; hands-on experience making photo selects for high-visibility content.
- Able to execute effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Build rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Challenge the status quo, champion change and influence others to change.
Why you'll love it here
You get to blend a passion for the outdoors with your work. You like to talk gear. You like writing about it even more. You can smell a story in the air and know how to pitch it and chase it. You want to explore the story arc with creative partners. You like to work fast and move to a sprint when a reactive or late-breaking opportunity arises. You’ll sit within the broader integrated marketing team and collaborate daily with smart and energized teammates to create standout campaigns. Everyone is passionate about the work we do and the customers and Members we serve.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer