Senior Business Analyst
Posted Date: Oct- 5-2018
Job ID: 11425
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
At REI our core mission is to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
Come work in a highly collaborative team environment, creating customized digital experiences and features for our experiences portfolio including Classes, Events, and Adventures! We are looking for a Business Analyst to help design the technical solutions for next-generation features and functionality of our site and the systems that support it. You will get to work on a variety of projects with varying levels of complexity including: new site enhancements, application development, new technologies, and performance optimization. You'll collaborate in a dynamic environment with REI’s Experience business, architects and Software Engineers, and others to guide the creation of interactive features that deliver exceptional customer experiences. You will have the flexibility to grow your skills and explore new technical challenges on the journey towards making REI’s digital experience world class. In this role you are:
- Requirements Management: Manages the business requirements process for small technology projects and enhancements by facilitating, eliciting, gathering, documenting, validating, prioritizing and establishing baseline business requirements. Ensures testability / traceability of requirements. Expresses business requirements using multiple techniques. Documents requirements in accordance with REI methodology. Manages changes to the requirements baseline. Provides deployment support. Contributes to financial and business value analysis. Participates in peer reviews of requirements deliverables.
- Systems knowledge: Understands business functionality, interfaces, data flow, and functional architecture of systems supported. Is knowledgeable in use of solutions supported, and has an in-depth understanding of how technologies supported work. Able to troubleshoot system problems from a functionality perspective, especially when supporting end-user testing and training.
- Work Coordination: Represents the business division for small technology projects and enhancements. Coordinates controls and communicates decisions related to the business solution. Defines business requirements and successfully completes organizational changes. Participates in small project and enhancement planning. Understands, formulates, prioritizes and validates business requirements for use by the small project and enhancement. Confirms that results meet stated business requirements. Keeps stakeholders up to date on work status and project progress.
- Process: Documents and analyzes existing or ‘as-is’ business processes. Designs new or ‘to-be’ business processes. Maps “as is” and “to be” business processes, understands gaps, and develops transition plans. Advances the Business Analyst practice in terms of methodology, processes and procedures. Educates other business stakeholders on the project management / product development processes and their roles.
- Planning: Contributes to corporate and divisional strategic planning process by helping identify business initiatives. Identifies cross-divisional dependencies and impacts. Helps develop and maintain business initiative roadmaps. Contributes to financial and business value analysis. Helps define the total portfolio of programs and projects which support strategic plan.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Previous experience in a multi-channel retail environment.
- 3+ years of related work experience.
- Learning both business and IT processes.
- Learning to identify and prioritize business needs for technology projects.
- Learning to collect, express and manage requirements (use cases, data modeling, process modeling, context diagrams, systems diagrams, etc.)
- Learning financial and business value analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and resolve conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and explain issues from both a technical and a business functional point of view.
- Ability to conceptualize and recommend solutions to business problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexibility in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Use of business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer