Buyer, Food & Sunglasses
Posted Date: Aug-12-2019
Job ID: 15372
Job Type: Full Time
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
The Buyer is accountable for the financial performance and operational management of their assigned category. With guidance of the Sr. CMM, they contribute to REI’s success by developing business plans and driving sales, turn, margin and in-stock goals. Responsible for end-to-end product lifecycle management including assortment design, promotional product selection and contribution to Retail and Marketing storytelling. Manages work flow internally through partnering with vendors, planning, replenishment and collaborating with cross-divisional partners. Responsible for style plan management, and partnering with Merchandising Data Specialist to coordinate product data creation and maintenance. Builds and maintains excellent relationships between vendors and REI in order to achieve mutual goals of sales and profitability. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Assortment and Product Planning:
- Create assortment strategies and partner with Category Planning Manager to develop initial sales forecast for product category based on corporate and specialty shop strategic objectives; financial, market and industry trends; item and vendor performance (sales, margin, markdowns, quality and in-stocks).
- Build compelling assortments that meet the needs of our target customers by considering product attributes, intended end use, activity levels, pricing ladder, REI Brand Frame and market trends.
- Reconcile style plan and Marketing continuities with financial and space plan at class and departmental level.
- Set retail prices in accordance with market needs as well as corporate and vendor policies.
- Review and resolve in-season assortment requests.
- Work with Visual Merchandising on product presentation issues and opportunities.
- Communicate final assortment and department direction to other stakeholders within the company, such as the departmental teams, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Digital, and Retail. Include information about cost, terms, price, distribution and marketing as needed. Coordinate and disseminate product information to Marketing through product review process and to Retail through appropriate communication processes.
- Build and maintain relationships with vendors to ensure profitability.
- Negotiate with vendors for best costs, terms, discounts, freight, co-op, and marketing support.
- Continually seek out new vendors and innovative product opportunities.
- Gain vendor support for corporate inventory and terms initiatives.
- Integrate Vendor Collaboration into negotiations regarding vendor marketing fund agreements with product vendors and follow up on collection as required.
Business Acumen and Planning:
- Understand and apply Specialty Shop product strategy.
- Contribute to the development of short- and long-term specialty shop strategic and business plans.
- Know and monitor competitive, specialty shop and industry trends.
- Coordinate with Category Planning Manager and Forecast Analyst about forecasting of new products, initial delivery information, product life cycles, and service level strategies.
- Manages workflow and timeline of category team (includes planning and replenishment).
- Collaborates with visual merchandising and digital teams to bring category strategy to life.
- Works closely with Sr. CMM Digital to maximize digital selling opportunities.
- supports marketing plans and proofing.
- Competitive and other analysis, as needed.
- Vendor and product data implementation with MDS.
- Resolves x-divisional and vendor operational issues.
- Maintains vendor MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy information.
- Owns sample management.
- Partners with Merchandising Data Specialist & Forecast Analyst to manage open orders.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 3+ years of merchandising experience with a 4-year college degree or equivalent experience.
- PC proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Office: Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Experience with product inventory analysis, acquisition, allocation and management for multiple stores and direct sales.
- Understanding and effective execution of merchandising math principles: initial mark-up, gross margin, markdowns, shrink, damages, inventory turnover, open-to-buy.
- Familiarity and interest in REI products, activities and services.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one’s own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one’s viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer