Posted Date: Jan-24-2019
Job ID: 13215
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Color Designer is responsible for enhancing the Private Brand product experience through the art & science of color. The Color Designer is responsible for implementing compelling color palettes that are inspired, meaningful and brand right. This includes research and development of trends, concepts, and market place delivery. They are also responsible for supporting the stewardship of seasonal themes to support the REI design language. They are also responsible for executing seasonal color tools. The Color Designer collaborates with, Product Design, Material Design, Graphics Design, Color Development to create impactful and cohesive color stories and collections. Understanding business needs from Merchandising, Brand, and Marketing is also critical to selecting seasonal color within the retail landscape. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Support color design strategy at the territory level and support color design manager with seasonal color storytelling.
- Manage color tool creation, including palette set up, color matching, and ordering of standards.
- Research and interpret color trend as necessary. Create and maintain seasonal color, mood, and trend boards.
- Manage color standard and resource library.
- Works collaboratively with other members of the design and product strategy team to support the goals of the brand.
- Possess understanding of activities and consumers. Seeks to gain understanding of future consumers.
- Adhere to the color calendar and color application/selection process.
- Update and organize digital design files and charts accurately.
- Enter color information into PLM system.
- Exemplify product design excellence in working meetings, formal presentations, and daily work.
- Strong computer skills; proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite is a must.
- Knowledge of apparel, product or industrial design. Strong interest in Color Design.
- Prefer 4-5 years in color, apparel/product, or material design.
- High level of creativity and elevated taste level.
- Strong communication skills; attention to detail are a must. Ability to take direction and update files accurately and methodically in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative problem solving, and proactive communication of potential issues.
- Ability to manage personal workflow and daily schedule to meet deadlines and expectations.
- Collaborative personality and ability to work well with cross-functional teams.
- An understanding of the REI brand positioning and general outdoor industry.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelors degree in Product Design or related field; may be substituted with relevant experience
- 4-5+ years work experience in CMF and color design
- Demonstrated excellence in enforcing color process and implementing color strategy
- Ability to support color manager to promote color awareness, challenge the status quo and foster continuous product advancement and collaboration
- Highly knowledgeable around current trends, color, materials, and outdoor related
- Strong influence skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply color to a variety of products.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines within a product development calendar.
- Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our strategic partners, other departments, and the product in general - always looking out for what is best for our end consumer “it’s all about the product”
- Demonstrated excellence in visual color acuity.
- Computer proficiency: MS Office (Word, Power Point, Excel), Adobe CS
- (Illustrator, InDesign)
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of
- problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external
- Fosters change in company direction
- Effectively plans and executes changes
- Domestic and international travel required
Why you'll love it here
We are a team of product centric, passionate people who firmly believe that a life outdoors is a life well lived. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work motivated to create amazing gear that enable outdoor experiences for our members.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer