Posted Date: Aug-19-2019
Job ID: 14777
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by supporting the color process and adhering to the timeline for color development for all of Gear & Apparel. Supporting the color strategy for needs of the G&A business, including helping to determine what tools are needed to improve the quality and efficiency of color development. The Color Developer evaluates color for several G&A business units. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Follows the established standards, processes and controls to manage color development at REI
- Facilitates lab dip process (requests and comment phases) for all fabrics and mills handled by HQ
- Requests and evaluates lab dip submissions
- Evaluates and comments upon all bulk submissions and alerts greater team if necessary
- Maintains color details and states in Enovia
- Communicates color development status to stakeholders throughout the organization
- Provides color technical support to Gear and Apparel product teams
- Ensures compliance to timelines and alerts team when this is not on track
- Assists to identify and resolve potential color quality issues
- Assists in updating and maintaining the Color Quality Manual and ensures all vendors follow our procedures
- Utilizes software and equipment solutions to increase color development accuracy and efficiency
- Partners with mills to improve color accuracy in development and bulk
- Networks with colorists, color software, standards, equipment, and dye manufacturers to share best practices and stay abreast of latest advancements in color development
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor's degree in textiles, apparel design, or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years of experience in the apparel or textile industry
- Hands on experience with color matching equipment such as spectrophotometer and color management systems
- Technical understanding of textile coloration techniques/limitations, including fibers, yarns, dyeing, finishing, coating
- Thorough understanding of the product development process including related timelines
- Knowledge of testing methods, interpretation and application of results
- Must be able to communicate effectively with Design, Production, Merchandising and international suppliers regarding color processes and color quality issues, both written and verbal
- Solid problem solving and strategic thinking ability
- Ability to travel approximately 2 weeks per year if needed
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer