Posted Date: Aug- 8-2018
Job ID: 11147
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Copywriter contributes to the co-op’s success by writing compelling copy across all customer contacts that deliver on brand, strategic and business goals. Works with Art Directors, Strategy, Brand, Design, and PI team to deliver copy for all channels.
The Copywriter’s work is primarily writing product information for digital, hangtags and product naming.
- Responsible for managing deadlines and project details through regular and ongoing communication with Senior Project Manager
- Contribute to creative concepting, ideation, and internal brainstorms.
- Writes copy, proofreads copy and/or provides product specifications in a way that reflects the REI brand, the copy style guide, company strategy and project strategy
- Helps maintain consistency in collateral by adhering to style and format guidelines.
- Communicates with appropriate department personnel to confirm and complete tasks.
- Meets deadlines for assigned projects.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or English
- Proven ability to develop strong creative concepts
- Proven ability to write and edit effective product copy
- Proven attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated understanding of muscle-powered outdoor activities and gear and the position of REI in those areas; demonstrated understanding of REI’s customer base and familiarity with REI’s product assortment
- Willingness to work flexible schedules to meet deadlines
- Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks and prioritize well
- Demonstrated initiative and innovation utilizing a proactive, team-oriented approach
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
- 3-4+ years experience in copywriting
Why you'll love it here
The REI Co-op is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 17 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. Since its founding in 1938, REI has worked to awaken a lifelong love for the outdoors, for all, through sustainable growth and reinvestment into the communities it serves. In 2017, nearly 70 percent of its profits went right back to the outdoor community, supporting employee retirement, helping fund trail work, returning dividends to its members and supporting nonprofits that get people into the outdoors.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer