Posted Date: Mar-25-2021
Job ID: 19416
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The marketing Copywriter is an important link in making sure the goodness of the REI Co-op gets expressed across everything we do. From marketing materials to in-store signs, social ads to disclaimer copy, the voice of the co-op must ring through. This particular position is involved with many details of some of the co-op’s most important programs, so precision, accuracy and self-directed follow-through is critical.
The ideal candidate will have a strong writing background with an emphasis on marketing in fast-paced publishing environments, as well as a keen eye for detail, a good sense of humor and a devotion to cooperative working. This role is part of the copywriting team and reports to the Associate Creative Director of Copy.
The primary functions of the Copywriter are:
- Writes accurate copy that reflects the REI brand, the copy style guide, company strategy and project strategy.
- Ensure accuracy and correctness of information at a detail level;
- Delivers copy on time, and according to project specifications and goals;
- Keeps the REI Co-op voice alive in even the smallest of spaces.
- Manages this across multiple project and multiple deadlines.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or English
- 2+ years experience in copywriting
- Proven ability to write clear, effective marketing copy
- Proven ability to deliver accurate copy and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects and multipole deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated understanding of outdoor activities and gear and the position of REI in those areas; demonstrated understanding of REI’s customer base and familiarity with REI’s product assortment
- Willingness to work flexible schedules to meet deadlines
- Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks and prioritize well
- Demonstrated initiative and innovation utilizing a proactive, team-oriented approach
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer