Customer Research Manager
Posted Date: Jan-21-2020
Job ID: 16878
Job Type: Full Time
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
The Customer Research Manager contributes to REI’s success by providing customer research analysis to decrease decision risk, increase overall profitability, and inform the design of best-in-class experiences across customer touchpoints. The position is responsible for creating and managing strategic customer research projects across the Co-op, partnering with cross-divisional leaders to identify insights needs, framing appropriate customer and business questions, and driving integration of customer insights into business decision-making processes. Models and acts in accordance with Co-op Way (values & mission).
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of Co-op strategies, programs, methods and practices to promote key initiatives
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Responsible for the quality, relevance, execution, and actionability of customer research.
- Leads training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed, makes effective staffing decisions, manages labor and resource needs, conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility among partners across the Co-op.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Oversees day-to-day management and development of a team of 2-3 analysts with varying levels of qualitative & quantitative research experience.
- Identifies customer research needs among internal partners and teams, helps frame/reframe key customer and business learning objectives/questions to support key strategies/efforts/programs at the appropriate scale, and collaborates with cross-divisional leaders to build relevant and actionable research methodologies.
- Develops, supports, and manages execution of customer research, developing project methodologies, managing sample design, executing qualitative & quantitative research phases, building research conclusions and actionable recommendations.
- Partners with teams to translate insights into action, support decision making and aid implementation of customer insights among cross-functional teams and across the broader customer journey.
- Leads project planning, resource allocation, prioritization and timing of research projects.
- Develops and manages cross-divisional research relationships and customer research strategies.
- Oversees relationships with external vendors and manages projects to annual budget and operational goals.
- Contributes to the Enterprise Customer Research planning process in collaboration with senior team members and ancillary partners.
- Champions customer research, the voice of customer, and its application throughout the organization.
- Maintains all legal standards as applicable to customer insights strategies and corporate initiatives, particularly as they relate to privacy standard and customer data.
- Upholds a culture of collaboration, development, innovation, accountability, trust, inclusivity, and respect in accordance with Co-op Way.
Bring your passion and expertise
- BS/BA required, preferred undergraduate degree in marketing, business, and/or mathematics. Masters/MBA strongly preferred
- 7+ years of work experience in all aspects of primary marketing research methods, including qualitative and quantitative methodologies, sampling processes, questionnaire design, data quality assurance, in-depth data analysis, data/insights visualization & journey mapping, basic statistical knowledge.
- 4+ years experience managing team in a primary research environment, preferably in a similarly sized B2C organization
- Strong time management and prioritization skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- 2+ years experience in direct marketing, event or campaign analysis, or marketing media return-on-investment practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of corporate strategic planning and creative problem resolution. Proven ability to navigate cross-divisional relationships across levels.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage, execute work, and support team effectively through all phases of qualitative and quantitative primary research efforts.
- 2+ years experience with online survey tools and SPSS or other statistical analysis tools. Knowledge of data warehouse structures and data mining experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of user-centered design principles, research methods, and user experience deliverables (service maps, wireframes, flow charts, personas, functional specifications, etc.)
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills with emphasis on data visualization and storytelling. Ability to synthesize findings into succinct insights and implications, and communicate effectively to senior leadership
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts and makes effective people decisions in a manner consistent with the Co-op Way
- Champions the voice of customer and advocates customer and business solutions in the Co-op’s best interest
- Challenges the status quo and fosters change to evolve the organization and culture in accordance with the Co-op’s larger mission
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer