DC Mechanic-2nd-Shift Sunday-Thursday - Bedford
Posted Date: Sep-25-2020
Job ID: 18242
Job Function: Distribution Center
Store: Distribution Center PA
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This Distribution Center Mechanic contributes to REI’s success by ensuring that Distribution Center equipment repairs and maintenance are effectively accomplished to support the Co-op’s business initiatives and objectives. The DC Mechanic is responsible for scheduling, diagnosing, performing and documenting preventative maintenance, repairs and adjustments. Maintains inventory of equipment parts. This position also provides back-up for Facilities Maintenance functions requiring equipment maintenance and repairs. The DC Mechanic should model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission. Here is what the DC Mechanic can expect to do on a daily basis:
- Performs preventative maintenance and repair of DC equipment such as conveyors, scales, carousel systems, compactors, flow racks, pallet racks, shelving systems, pallet jacks, floor sweepers, order picking carts, batteries, chargers, and safety equipment; adjusts or repairs equipment; replaces and lubricates parts as needed.
- Develops and maintains service records, including scheduled and actual maintenance; documents repair date, required repairs, parts or inventory souring, and cost.
- Coordinates with DC supervisors, managers, vendors and contractors for the scheduling of repair and maintenance services.
- Maintains appropriate inventory and supplies; assist in purchasing; orders, stocks, and documents inventory.
- Serves as back-up for building maintenance; troubleshoots, repairs or replaces parts and equipment such as lights, ballasts, switches, outlets, fixtures, plumbing, HVAC systems; performs miscellaneous carpentry, painting, and janitorial duties as necessary.
- Maintains ongoing relationships and serves as member on various committees to represent departmental and/or overall company interests; communicates company needs and expectations internally or externally; provides review, input and recommendations as appropriate.
Bring your passion and expertise
These are the skills and level of experience we look for in our Distribution Center Mechanics:
- 2+ years of journey level experience as an industrial mechanic, industrial electrician, conveyor installer or equivalent.
- Experience managing parts inventory preferred.
- Knowledge of conveyor systems, control panels, relays and sensing devices preferred.
- Ability to operate a personal computer to track parts inventory.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including being on call.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer