Posted Date: Oct-30-2018
Job ID: 10650
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The co-op’s goal is to lower the barrier to the outdoors by making an outdoor lifestyle relatable, accessible, and meaningful to all people, not just those who are already living it. The Designer helps us achieve this goal by creating imaginative, strategic, and culturally relevant design that push our business and brand forward.
Designers collaborate with Art Directors, Copywriters and other team members to develop, design, and present concepts across a diverse range of customer touchpoints including: Print and Digital Advertising, Catalogs, Direct Mail, Email, Social Media and Packaging.
Bring your passion and expertise
Specifically, the Designer:
- Has a solid background in print design with an understanding of long-form design principles
- Is passionate about typography and layout and their nuances in effective design
- Collaborates with Designers, Copywriters, and Creative Directors to develop creative ideas
- Delivers consistent design work across multiple channels
- Prepares concepts and presents designs to small and large groups for approval
- Communicates proactively and effectively to the team to keep projects on schedule
- Manages expectations well and meets deadlines for assigned projects
- Is a great collaborator who can articulate, present, and sell their ideas
- Ensures quality and accuracy by proofing own work, producing proof copies for review by others, and revising materials according to feedback on proofs
Need to Haves:
- 3-4 years experience as a designer in an agency or internal creative department
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent work experience
- Cultural fluency in terms of trend awareness, design drivers and overall social themes
- Demonstrate a leading sense of taste and style through your work
- Advanced skills in current Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience in designing across diverse formats: Print and outdoor advertising, email, social media, digital banner ads, packaging, catalogs, and direct mail
- Ability to organize, manage time, multitask, and prepare accurate files
- Experience working in a Mac based network environment
Nice to Haves:
- An awareness and understanding of outdoor culture
- Ability to express motion graphic ideas (storyboarding and/or comps)
- Digital design experience, and ability to prepare files for digital production
- Experience with Sketch, InVision, Flash, XML, HTML, CSS a plus
- Experience converting print files to interactive media a plus
Why you'll love it here
Do you seek a dynamic and creative environment filled with driven, talented people who actually care about the work they’re doing? Wouldn’t it be great to work at a mission-based company that isn’t trying to take over the world, but rather make it a better place for everybody? And what if your work, ideas and effort could actually affect outcomes and make it to the real world?
The REI Co-op is this kind of place, and we’re hiring. So if you’re a talented designer, then we may have the job for you. We're seeking a talented, deep-thinking, motivated creative to help change the world. We believe that by getting people outdoors they can be their best selves, and that the goodness gained from being outdoors will radiate out to other parts of their lives. If this sounds like a good way to use your super powers, please get in touch.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer