Posted Date: Oct- 1-2018
Job ID: 12160
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Digital Merchandiser contributes to REI’s success by monitoring and optimizing the digital customer shopping experience with an activity/category focus. Digital Merchandisers draw through product expertise through close partnerships with the buying teams and draw insights from data and reporting about customer behavior. This role ensures that our experience helps the customer make the right buying decisions for their outdoor activity. This entails understanding the customer’s shopping behaviors and working with divisional and cross divisional partners to coordinate content, features and functionality to differentiate REI’s specialty shopping experience.
With knowledge of the product assortment and how our customer shops, Digital Merchandising partners to improve product presentation on rei.com to communicate what is compelling and important about our products. This role is also responsible for the product discovery experience to ensure that rei.com customers are presented with relevant products. While historically this has been through manual curation, we are investing in a relevance and personalization road map that automates and improves this experience, requiring an analytical mind to manage these experiences in the future.
This role is responsible for driving digital engagement through well researched and collaborative planning, in depth analysis of customer shopping behavior, and execution of product and content features online that create a natural shopping experience.
This role builds and maintains a number of relationships while assessing business opportunities to inform roadmaps and actions. Important traits that the ideal candidate will have include strong collaboration skills, business acumen (ideally experience with omnichannel retail) and critical thinking skills.
Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Your responsibilities (the plans the job is responsible for creating and executing, and how the job ensures they are implemented)
- Apply knowledge of key eCommerce and merchandising business principles to develop digital support plans to achieve sales and engagement goals.
- Learn new tools as they become available, develop strategies for use and build and execute plans to use tools to support business needs.
- Partner with Merchandising teams to understand seasonal product strategies. Define, communicate and drive execution of seasonal digital activity/category plans.
- Identify new feature or optimization opportunities, measure business opportunity, and partner with the product and program management teams for discovery and implementation.
- Work with Information Architecture and Search teams to monitor and optimize shop presentation.
- Develop, analyze and report out to intra and cross-divisional partners on customer behavior and business performance by specialty shop and outdoor activity.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years’ experience in a retailing environment, omnichannel preferred
- 3+ years' web analytics experience including a solid understanding of web metrics, testing methodology and optimization strategies
- Experience with web-based analytical tools such as: Adobe Workspace or similar solution, Tableau
- Experience working with Product and Program Management teams to develop digital merchandising solutions to execute online merchandising plans preferred
- Previous experience in the outdoor gear marketplace and ability to capitalize on market trends preferred
- Has an understanding of the merchandising buying process
- Proven capability of developing, communicating and executing strategic plans
- Aptitude with learning new tools, developing strategies for use and building and executing plans to use tools to support business needs
- Proven ability to successfully handle multiple tasks and prioritize work
- Uses business knowledge, critical thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
Why you'll love it here
The REI Co-op is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 17 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. Since its founding in 1938, REI has worked to awaken a lifelong love for the outdoors, for all, through sustainable growth and reinvestment into the communities it serves. In 2017, nearly 70 percent of its profits went right back to the outdoor community, supporting employee retirement, helping fund trail work, returning dividends to its members and supporting nonprofits that get people into the outdoors.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer