Digital Retail User Experience Intern
Posted Date: Apr- 9-2019
Job ID: 11272
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Digital Retail User Experience Intern is responsible for supporting the UX team in improving the customer experience on REI’s digital platforms. The ideal candidate has a general competency in using customer feedback, analytics, UX best practices, and competitive analysis to design the ultimate user experience. The User Experience Intern will be mentored by the UX team with ample opportunity for hands on experience.
- Design amazing products and features with the ultimate user experience
- Participate in developing and defining the user research and experience strategy for the REI’s mobile apps
- Creates and maintains user experience documentation such as competitive site analyses, scenarios, user flows, interaction notes, detailed functional wireframes and prototypes
- Works closely with Design, Development, Program Management, Marketing Research, Analytics and other teams to develop user-centered features
- Ensures maintenance of a cohesive user interface as it evolves by contributing to a style guide and/or pattern library
- Uses quantitative and qualitative data to create innovative solutions for complex spaces
- Experience planning and facilitating user research activities (interviews, usability testing, surveys, etc.)
- Collaborates with business and technology teams to design great user experiences
Bring your passion and expertise
- Current student or recent graduate of HCDE, HCDI, Psychology, Design Studies or Anthropology
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods and techniques
- Strong knowledge of UX deliverables such as site maps, wireframes, flow charts, personas, functional specifications, style guides and prototypes
- In-depth knowledge in iOS and/or Android mobile and tablet platforms
- Previous ecommerce design experience strongly
- Previous experience working via agile methodologies
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams to promote open communication and teamwork
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, networking, presentation and negotiation skills
- Strong time management skills and the ability to be self-directed when needed
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Strong presentation skills.
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer