The Director, Commerce Product Management drives the strategic direction and leads teams responsible for all platform capabilities enabling the REI Omni-channel experience and supporting an +$3B digital business. This team provides core capabilities to aggressively grow membership acquisition, evolve our member experience, and maintain a healthy and active customer base by supporting core commerce capabilities including our Payments and Omni tools. Commerce Platforms represent support for our digital transactions and bridges digital into physical including capabilities for payment platforms, checkout services, omni-channel enablement, employee tools, geo-services, queue management and virtual outfitting.
A top objective of this position is to by leading, inspiring, and recruiting an empowered team of highly skilled and innovative product managers responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining the end-to-end “horizontal” platforms This work is critical to creating an integrating customer experience and a scalable technology platform in support of the Co-op’s growth agenda. They will promote a product culture that values continuous testing and learning and that welcomes failure as a pathway to innovation. This person will utilize insights to develop REI’s 3 year technology plan, partner with the UX and Engineering leads and respective digital and cross-divisional teams to conceive, investigate and plan for best-in-class digital capabilities, and present strategy to senior leadership.
This position requires a strong knowledge of platforms that support all channels, including online, mobile, in-store and field experiences for products, expert advice, scheming/research, adventure travel and education events, among other things. It plays a lead role in influencing the future success of the co-op through the use of digital technology to achieve short, medium and long-term organizational goals. The position will be responsible for designing, developing and supporting highly complex mission critical systems using digital commerce and omni-channel technologies that meet established organizational objectives. Anticipating and navigating trends in the omni-channel marketplace with expert business alignment are necessary.
At REI Co-op, we believe that a life outdoors is a life well lived...for all. To deliver on that promise, we are working with our 15,000 employees, 19M members and the broader outdoor community toward a reality where everyone has the opportunity to be themselves, to access opportunities and find their place in the outdoors. For us, that means:
- Investing in work that removes the barriers people and communities face to getting outside.
- Delivering relevant products, experiences, and expertise to equip and inspire a new generation of outdoor stewards.
- Cultivating a workforce that reflects the demographics of the markets we serve.
- Leading the industry’s efforts to welcome people and communities historically underrepresented into outdoor media and culture.
Leading the Way (team leadership, coaching and development responsibilities for this “manager of staff”)
The Essential Leadership Behaviors required by the future Director, Commerce Platform Product Management connect directly to the mission, the strategy and the quadruple bottom line that measures success for the Co-op. The right candidate is self-motivated, a natural team leader, collaborator and problem-solver.
The Director, Commerce Platform Product Management will:
- Make recruiting, training, and ongoing coaching a top priority, comprising at least 50% of their time.
- Lead and coach a team of product managers that are accountable for new and enhanced digital capabilities.
- Identify and communicate key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Advocate for the importance of a strong product culture and the power of a highly motivated product team.
- Oversee the training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and make effective staffing decisions.
- Conduct and ensure the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensure employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements (the plans the job is responsible for creating and executing, and how the job ensures they are implemented)
- Develops a vision and roadmap for enterprise commerce platform capabilities, including but not limited to:
- Support for unified commerce enablement
- Bridges digital into physical including capabilities to unified commerce enablement payment platforms, checkout services, omni-channel enablement, geo-services, employee tools such as the employee app, queue management and virtual outfitting.
- Drives teams to develop detailed technical design and architectural framework components in partnership with IT leaders, with a heavy emphasis on best in class, seamless omni experiences
- Recommend, develop and implement digital platform strategies to ensure that platform efforts are integrated seamlessly into business plans.
- Synthesizes digital needs across business units to define a holistic roadmap for the enterprise.
- Leads the creation of the platform team's annual delivery calendar and roadmap; revising roadmap (3-5 year horizon) and business cases on at least an annual basis
- Partners with IT leaders, Marketing, Customer Insights, Business Intelligence, Digital, Retail, Experiences and other divisions to enable business and customer goals
- Participates in division strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of digital platforms and systems which significantly impact the effective execution of business processes. Ensures that business plans drive technology solutions that support Company effectiveness and profitability.
- Serves as a thought leader across the organization to deliver on the customer experience, providing strong leadership and guidance to influence leaders and drive cross functional alignment
- Influence functional teams on strategy and priorities