Director, Community Events, Recognition and Digital Engagement
Posted Date: May- 4-2021
Job ID: 19977
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Director of Community Events, Recognition and Digital Engagement is responsible for driving connection, inspiration and belief across our member and employee community. This leader has three cornerstone programs to leverage in that mission – they will engage members and employees through our digital community platforms, create and run the pinnacle in person and virtual events where we connect with one another, and run our awards and recognition program to celebrate the best of who we are as a co-op community. This role works directly with leaders across the co-op on a daily basis. They work directly with HR leadership shape their program, understand employee and member sentiment, and pivot their programs accordingly. They will also work closely with our integrated communications team to drive executive POV and co-op thought leadership through our virtual and in-person touchpoints.
This person must be able to deliver best in class concept thinking for unestablished bodies of work, build new programs, develop and attract talent, balance internal and external resources, and understand how to prioritize their team’s efforts against a range of co-op and cultural developments. This leader will help us build a more systematic, data-driven approach to understanding employee and member sentiment and use that data to calibrate programs and counsel leaders on an ongoing basis. They will also establish a rolling 3-year roadmap of where we need to build and evolve their programs, with annual plans emphasizing the critical work that needs to happen each year.
- Digital Community: This leader’s team engages members and employees through our digital publishing and engagement tools. They will progress this program in concert with REI’s overall digital transformation, and be responsible for publishing, moderation and measurement.
- Events: The events team delivers strategy, content, logistics and implementation of all major virtual and in-person events. On the internal side this includes cornerstone annual events where we celebrate the best of our culture, as well as monthly all hands and leadership meetings and unique one-off employee experiences. On the external side this team leads community/partner events where we gather our members, vendors and other community partners.
- Awards/Recognition: The awards/recognition team runs our primary awards programs (Anderson Awards and Leadership Awards), and supports external community-facing recognition for our vendor community.
- Models the idea that “a life outdoors is a life well lived”
- Identifies and communicates responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve results.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Plays a leading or supporting role in cross-divisional engagement strategies which draw together multiple disciplines spanning the creative to operational spectrum; a natural integrator and inspiring convener.
- Develops and implements an aligned annual employee and member engagement strategy that supports co-op business plans and divisions in partnership with marketing peers. Sets direction for and approves annual and opportunistic engagement plans, success measures and planned resource deployment.
- Negotiates and sets cross-divisional strategy and resource allocation for employee and member engagement and ensures that their program maximize value to the company while protecting and enhancing REI’s brand and reputation.
- Ensures clarity and mutual understanding of issues of consequence among REI stakeholders with the goal of creating mutually beneficial outcomes for all parties.
- Positions the co-op effectively in response to issues, opportunities and threats and is proactive in efforts to guide business actions that reflect REI’s values and key stakeholder expectations.
- Negotiates and/or approves final strategy and work scope for outside contractors, agencies and consultants.
- Tracks, analyzes, reports and recommends actions to company leadership on emerging issues of consequence to the company’s cultural health and brand. Addresses or elevates issues as necessary and garners appropriate support for thoughtful action plans and responses.
- Ensures that the company’s process and protocols are adequate, consistent and regularly tested. Ensures divisional alignment, appropriate oversight and integration with Risk Management and necessary policy, technology and resource support.
- Innovates internal and member facing strategies and develops the team’s competency to ensure REI is well positioned to address traditional and emerging employee and member engagement channels, methods and media.
- Provides strong team leadership for staff in the performance of their duties, including the development and articulation of clear strategies and goals, leadership development within the group’s staff and on-going counsel and coaching.
- Drives operational efficiencies in all areas of responsibility to maximize the team’s contribution to REI’s goals.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 10+ years of experience in corporate communications, public relations/public affairs or another employee engagement related field with at 5+ years supervising other professionals.
- Exceptional communications skills with proven experience of positive results from working with C-suite executives.
- Demonstrated track record of employing exceptional judgment in decision-making and all working relationships. Demonstrates strong emotional intelligence in interactions, negotiations and communications.
- Demonstrated record of success in development, alignment and deployment of business and strategy. Proven ability to develop short and long-term implementations.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines, unpredictability and on multiple priorities.
- Experience with budget development, management and resource allocation
- Proven experience in counseling and influencing senior executives
- Exceptional analytical skills, proven experience as problem solver and excellent negotiator
- Expertise in both traditional and emerging media and communications; technology savvy and demonstrated practical experience working with new media and internet communications.
- Communications experience in large, multi-store retail or service organization.
- College degree or equivalent professional experience in the field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; group presentation skills required
- Proven leadership and supervisory abilities in a complex organization and proven experience as a people manager with skills in leadership development, mentoring and supporting exceptional employee performance
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers/stakeholders/members
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer